I Forge Iron

Anybody have a good bracelet design??

A couple years ago I saw a demo of some Fold Forming techniques with flat bars. They had also worked some of it into bracelets.

You take a flat strip of iron (like 1/2 x 1/8 or 3/4 x 1/8), fold it in half, and hammer the fold down tight. Then heat and bend the two legs back out. Then heat and hammer that T shape left by the bend down flat. This leaves a squished square-topped T section in your original bar. Angling the bend also them angles that decorative section. A few of these spaced around a piece cut long enough for a bracelet had a pretty nice look - especially when the "high" points were buffed up.

I don't remember who did the demo. I probably saw in on one of the demo tapes from UMBA (Upper Midwest Blacksmith Association).

Just a possibility.

Most of the bracelets I've made have been variations of that Celtic inspired C. Made from brass brazing rod hammered square and twisted gives a nice look when the high points get polished a bit. I either taper/curl the ends, or flatten/fair them. Plus the Living History reenactment people love them for use as a blanket or cloak pin - altho documentation for those with an attached pivoting "pin" seem lacking between the 1600's and early 1800's. The only documentation found so far is for their use with a separate straight pin when used as a cloak/blanket pin - like the Scottish great kilt pins.

Mikey - that grumpy ol' German blacksmith out in the Hinterlands

Edited by Mike Ameling