I Forge Iron

How important is a fire extinguisher close to the forge?

bsiler

Very, so I found out yesterday afternoon.
Had my fire going with coke left from last time I used it. Added some coal around the edges and sprinkled some water on it. I heard a slight pop. Looked around and flames were coming out of the hole of my Champion blower. The first thing I did (like a fool) was grab my water can. Water didn't work. Remembered the fire extinguisher by the door that I had hung there a couple of months ago. One short blast was all it took.

Some time ago I had started the forge and there was a very loud pop. That time it blew the hose off of the fire pot.

What causes this?

Billy

In the "New Edge of the Anvil" it is referred to as "blow back" which is a "dull pop or explosion of unburned gases trapped in the fire box." It says its from a lack of air, so maybe crank you blower more after sprinkling the water.

Sounds like you have coal gas going back through your tuyere, a little touch of air, sometime not, and it ignites with a pop, sometime a loud bag if there is a lot. Coal gas is produces as you heat coal, it is part of the stuff that burns off as the coal cokes. Contains things like methane, xylene, benzene... and lotso of other -anes and -ines, volatile hydrocarbons.

2 things, thing 1 mount you blower ABOVE your tuyere, the gas is denser than air, so can't run up hill.

thing 2 give the fire a little air before watering to push the flammable gasses into the fire to burn

Fire extinguishers are good to have if things go poorly and you fire gets away from you. Or if you loose a hot piece flying off in the corner and it takes a while to find...

Chris,
I have that book and have read that. Thanks for refreshing my memory.

CBrann,
Thanks for the reply. I have definitely had a learning experience. You have given me things to do and think about.

Thanks men,
Billy

I would add that keeping a water bucket around in addition to your extinguisher is very important especially if you work inside. Flying bits of hot metal and sparks can retain heat for a longer period of time and re-ignite flammable material easily after the extinguisher has been sprayed. Water was useless in your blowback case, but it is your best bet to rapidly cool red hot material and to saturate anything it is touching. Obviously you want to limit flammables in your shop to begin with - but those hot bits seem to have a knack for finding whatever can burn!

make sure your cranking in the right direction....i put a little arrow on mine...its weird how you can crank, stop cranking and go back start again the other way...i guess it depends where the handle stops and you start ..... when you stop cranking and take your piece out of the fire, sometimes your crank will finish its cycle and stop off center, so the handle is heavier to fall backwards so it will suck a little gass in ... boom!

Edited by fat pete

Next time it happens just keep cranking it'll go out.

I have a Champ 400 and it doesn't matter which way I crank it, it blows just the same. Well, I don't know if it's JUST the same, there may be a volume, velocity difference but I can't tell the difference at the fire.

Frosty

Ahh, you found that blacksmithing CAN be exciting (grin) First time it happened the dog and I both went under the same table.

Keep a fire extinguisher by the exit door. You need to be on the way out of the building first, and only then look back and see if the fire can be controlled.

A second extinguisher at point of need is good. A 5 gallon bucket of fresh water should be handy beside the forge for burned hands, quenching, small fires, etc. Like the boy scouts say, be prepared for fire in a blacksmith shop, it will happen.

I assumed that a bucket of water would be there as a matter of course... I keep a charged hose ready when I work, as I am outside, and always worry about catching stuff on fire. (Leaves, grass, trees, fire wood, tractor)

I use a vacuum cleaner on blow with a rheostat to provide my air, and I had a gas buildup big enough to blow the vacuum cleaner apart. I dove behind a tree it was so loud. 40 minutes later I got my vacuum back together and workng again..

also remember(when things happen fast-that's out the window) dumping water on a fire will put it out but it will also produce steam..and that is a powerful energy sorce. so be careful not to have problems in the first place,be prepared and be safe about it.

also in the bedroom.........my favorite firearms instructor once pointed out to me that you are much more likely to need an extinguisher by the bed than a firearm :D:D

You know, this has so many potential ways for me to get kicked off the forum I think I'll just let it slide. :o

Frosty

• 4 weeks later...