I Forge Iron

Current economic conditions

Fe-Wood

I'm not interested in political views in this thread. No name calling, blame or the like:)

My question is just about how is it going for you in this economic period. Anyone seeing any light in the tunnel or does it seem like its just getting worse.

If you do have a product line, what items are selling? Ie. big ticket items over $1000.00 or small stuff in the $10.00 to $50.00 range.

I haven't been in the job market for several years now, so I don't have a clear idea what is going on out there. Are labor prices going down, staying the same or (Huh) rising?

My reason for asking is I have been putting together a new product line and am wondering if its even worth trying to launch it given the current times.

What price point seems to have good sales? Where are you having success?

Thanks to everyone who replies.

My "day job" is contracting, where I occupy the lower echelons of the construction industry. (Insert your favourite "please don't tell my folks I'm a ______, they think I'm the piano player in a..." joke here.) No new construction, no remodeling, only residential repair and improvement sized for a one-man shop.

My income flat-lined for most of 2008, and in September when the housing bubble burst, my contracting income plummeted: Far more than 50% of it vanished in a one week period. Jobs in the pipeline pulled out; jobs on the horizon never pulled in. (There are good reasons why Dad advised me to never place all my eggs in one basket, but I was down to feathers for a while!) At any rate, I cobbled together an income from various enterprises.

The financial flow is nowhere close to pre-September 2008 levels, but it is trickling more steadily and...at least in my little corner of the GNP...it looks as though the ice is thawing. Then again, it looked that way in the engine room of the Titanic, didn't it? :o

Leland

I believe the second of three shoes is about to drop, the commercial real estate market has the same bad loans and defaults that the residential just went through, if you look around, you will see the commercial vacancies are rising like crazy, boutiques always suffer the first and worst in these markets. I don't think it will be till 2011 if we are lucky, and that is only if the Mayan calender end of the time (age) thing does not portend real geological problems with us passing the ecliptic plane of our galaxy. The old curse " may you live in interesting times" appears to be our lot.

I saw a downturn in my Demo sales last year. At events I have done before I saw sales dry up considerably. I am cutting back this year to sales that are one day and local to me in order to conserve on the fuel to get to these.

All the "experts" say they see this ending late 2009, I see us struggling for some time farther than that.

I guess in my opinion, people are seperating the "wants" from the "needs" and the "wants" are being put on hold.

Dead here as well. lucky I have more talent for generating income than just my Electrical card, so far we have not lost anything of real value, I still get requests for farm equipment repair, but blade sales are all but dead.

As for the Mayans, I hope that 2012 is just the end of the calendar we find an old basic command of "Goto line 1" and recycle the calendar. Hey its possible :)

That's what many think, and I would be inclined to believe it, yet the calender does refer to upheaval every 12000 years, or the time it takes our planet to do it's transit from above to below the ecliptic. We have enough to worry about after watching the history channel as it is, super volcanoes, gamma ray bursts, epidemics, war, egads man, I just wanna forge something!!

well me being just a no talent hobbiest, i don't sell but i do give away some itoms (house warning,etc.) and being a driller in the oil/gas field, we shut down over night-this is the worst i've seen since the mid 80's. i do hope things berak soon, as we are all in bad shape.i believe everything happens for a reason, but, this is rediculious. may all of us "live long and prosper". and a word or two to the good Lord can't hurt.be well ya'll jimmy

Boy, I was hoping for at least some glimmer of hope.

To all who replied, I hope and pray this is on the rebound, for all of us.

I know three needs that will never go away.
Food
Water
and energy.

I guess I should focus there
Diversity is the key!

Sales have been dead here for almost a year.

As Steve referred to, it's a good thing I can put my hand to a variety of different things to scrabble up the scratch needed for living. Applying for regular work is like pitching your resume into a black hole - they go in but nothing comes back out - not even a "thanks for applying" response.

What sales I have had are on the higher-end side for my furniture work; around $1000.00 and up but that's been far and few between as well.

I'm not sure about the current trinket and small scale item sales in this area because I stay away from the community market, demo and show venues. The "flea-market, garage sale" attitude of the buyers has become so prevalent as to make it not anywhere near worth the time or energy.

It's tough times - my best wishes for any and all who are struggling to make it through!

G'Day all , the USA ain't the only place it's hit , down here in OZ it gettin' ruff too .
Was SACKED from my job just over a week ago . Decided to see if local garden centre would like some of my pre economic downturn sellers . Bloke said ta me " strewth mate , got something already like that & i can't even give em away "
So much for me hopin' for a $ or 2 that way ...:(

Oh well , just gotta come up with something the punters will dive on ( ok , what's the best sellers out there blokes / shelias ? )

Dale Russell

Hey Dale
Sorry to hear about your job. Its pretty quiet up here too, this time last year we were using about 3 to 4 tonne of steel a month mainly 4140 and 1045 now we are barely using 1 ton month. I figured that as we were mainly forging stuff such as gear blanks for locomotive gearboxes, driveshaft pinions for electric passenger trains etc and people still have to get to work and frieght trains still have to run, that we would be reasonably OK but it seems that all our customers were forward ordering and they have now cut back to only oredring what they need, or the competetion is sharpening their pencils quicker than me, (althought I have heard that they are only working a 30 hour week, and they have some really big gear ("2 ton massey" etc,)), which means they'll get hungry for work and start to price closer.
Hope it comes good for you soon.
Phil

Edited by forgemaster
Added some stuff

Boy, I was hoping for at least some glimmer of hope.

To all who replied, I hope and pray this is on the rebound, for all of us.

I know three needs that will never go away.
Food
Water
and energy.

I guess I should focus there
Diversity is the key!

The topic of "the economy" is constantly discussed in my home, as my wife and I are both self-employed. We spoke of the recession this morning.

It occurred to me that an economic downturn, unlike a tsunami, earthquake, plague, drought, or other natural disaster, is entirely man-made and controllable. Unlike the Great Depression, there is no concurrent Dust Bowl or similar act of nature exacerbating the economic malaise.

The recession we're facing now is entirely emotional in nature (we "feel" confident about buying, or we "fear" losing money and don't spend) and this takes the "Domino Effect" to a much grander and costly scale when the dominoes start falling. The bad economy appears to be the result of our fearful imaginations combined with the our tendency towards "herd mentality."

Unlike GM, my wife and I haven't shut down or gotten a bail-out, we've simply changed our marketing and pricing. And yes, we've had to cut back. But maybe the long term answer is as simple as enough people saying to themselves, "I refuse to participate in the recession." And then acting accordingly.

YES!!!! Leland
THAT is what is happening! In my mind, it all began with the rapid increase in fuel costs and spread throughout the economy like a gallon of milk dropped on the sidewalk from a hundred feet in the air.:o

Only good thing I see in the this recession is the reduced consumption of natural resources.

Now, if we can only get people to loose the fear!:)

Its all in the perception.
I stopped listening to talk radio about 2 months ago, I was an addict like no other. I got tired of the pounding on how bad it is out there.

Funny, the sun still comes up!

Edible gardening supplies are selling like hot-cakes.

Sorry to hear about the job Dale- Could be an opportunity for something better though.

I'm feeling richer today though, I'm part owner of an auto company:rolleyes:

Sorry, just a couple random thoughts

Not trying to hijak, stay with this, it ties in, at least in my mind, if not let me know and I'll pull it

On the calender part I was at an event over the weekend that had lectures. I went to one about surviving in the new millennium, (Not hot crazy militia anti govt stuff) about post natural catastrophe. It was interesting because the guy was stressing a simpler less impacting existence.
What does this have to do with this thread, basically he said to learn to live with less electricity, technology, and become more self sufficient, through home gardening/ farming, learning useful skills, like black smithing.
He had a lot to say about people who live in urban setting being a far distance from the food they eat, clothes they wear, and the word around them. If the island in the Atolls breaks loose and creates the huge tsunami and disrupts a huge amount of the East coast, what sort of life will the survivors have? 19th century for a while, candles, wood stoves, no refrigeration so dried or canned foods, no indoor plumbing, no running water.
It seems to me that people like the ones here are preserving something that can become very useful quickly.

On the economic front, if things go completely south, how long till we are trading good or services to each other?

I am not an alarmist but if you watch the history channel or the discovery channel how many catastrophic natural disasters await us everyday? It seems to me that if you have a little garden, develop some basic useful skills, spend more time outside living less time inside vegging that the power bill will go down, the grocery bill goes down, the doctor bill goes down (less stress) that can't be a bad thing can it??

sorry it got long, but does this make sense?

Edited by mod07
typos

CBrann-
All good stuff there!!!
I'm not an alarmist either but I have a chunk of land that is off grid (see other posts) with a large garden. I fully agree, we rely way to much on "other" sources for virtually everything.

Last week my wife was invited to a "survivalist party" Nope its not the anti gov types. The focus will be about putting up food so it lasts without refrigeration, what types of foods last best and other "survival" techniques for the new millennium. How does this relate to this economic thread one might ask? Well I don't know.... But somehow, I think it does. The slow foods movement, leading a simplified yet fulfilling life movement, Blacksmithing, energy independence. All these ideas are gaining momentum all over the world.

For me it means helping people become more independent and be comfortable while dong it. Independence doesn't mean doing without.

Fe Wood, you managed to put my thoughts in a simpler more easily understood statement. I am not against the "survivalist" idea, but I think the catastrophy will be natural verus governmental. As far as it goes food you raise yourself tastes better, and when you know about laying up food, canning drying etc, then you appreciate what it takes to get it to your table. I am not about living in a cave off the grid, but no coming unhinged when the power goes out for a couple of days is what I'm trying to achieve.

Due to certain issues in my life I have a broken truck I can't buy parts for or fix myself. And I haven't bought fresh steel to work with in a year. It is still amazing I an still work in the shop, with scrap, gifts of scrap, and files. I bought 800 lbs of coal a year and a half ago, and I still have 6 bags left so I have heat. Just working with what I have and need, not with what I want. Reality not dreamland!

I try to sell stuff in Ebay, and get hammered every time. Nobody is buying anything I make.

Well,
I just sold my house and am buying a bigger one. Also having to buy a bigger mower....And Sarah is looking at a new car in a few months once we settle into everything. We were able to get out of our house with what we needed to get the other one and get up and started.

To me...from where I sit things are looking a little better.

At least I am doing my part to pick it back up! HA!

Peyton

CBrann-
Don't get discouraged...
I don't know what kind of product you make but I'm thinking there are just a couple reasons why your goods are not selling-
Cost to much (always an issue)
Aren't reaching the right group of buyers (marketing strategy)
Your products are a "want" item rather than a "need" item (also a marketing strategy)
Quality isn't high enough, this goes back to cost (perception of the potential buyer)
*I mean no disrespect here*

What are the products you sell on ebay?

I have given all of these reasons considerable attention in the last little while because my products fall firmly in the "want" and not the "need" column. This goes to my desire to make the things I "need" to. So, I have to make concessions elsewhere. Thats the rub for me.

Glad to here some good news Peyton!!!
Congrats on the new house!!!
From what I've seen, teaching smithing right now is good business.
The pool of desire seems to keep growing:)

Keep up the good work all
and as I like to say /

I just found this in the Washington Post-
"Economists, senior government officials and ordinary consumers are all showing greater confidence in the outlook for the economy."

Hopefully the spin is going in the right direction now....

seems most have lost 25-35% of buis....my neighbor is a potter and he says he sales are of that range and he runs a weekend "show" and those sales are off a little more...things are tuff .... i am just starting to be confident to sell....
I always try and use less no matter what i do ... where i am from they say copper wire was invented here by two dutchman fighting over a penny... i also think its all going down the tubes, some wood call it changing to a future....i dont buy it ....everything cycles somehow ... we do not make anything anymore, or very little anyway so what do we have to offer to the world??? i think its going to drill everything down to small cottage industrys and big stores for the cities...so you need to help your neighbor eccept in the future you will charge him

my pennys worth
they took the other penny