I Forge Iron

hail friends, i just finished an axe Eric(element) and i had worked on a few times, just want to say thx for the help budy and hope to work with you again, now to the good stuff. here are some pics , note that there is a split in the mid section of the blade...i used a shaft that had a small depretion on the end and well there you have it but it only looks bad the axe is still in good working order and took a good edge. the back is a hooked hammer head with sharp edges for extra beats lol. i just brushed the scale off and finished the edge and the hammer face for the ht, wich went well, i used hydrolic oil for the blade and water for the hammer face , i left the pits and hammer marks for thet fresh from the forge look.:D

Edited by rokshasa

i normalised the hole thing 4 times, got the axe blade to heat, quenched it in oil and drew out the temper with the leftover heat let it cool overnight, the next day i jamed a drift in the eye as a heat sink with an othere closer to the blade and heated the hammer face to heat and poured a stesady stream of watter over it till it was cooled enough then let the heat run the temper. both faces held up well and the body is nice and soft.
i guess i was just so primed to get my post up i neglected to put that part in, sorry steve :D

Really came out great! The hammered finish really gives that type of piece a lot of character in my opinion.
That's a great part of the world you live in. The wife and I did several motorcycle trips up to the provincial park for camping vacations years back.

Dick

• 1 month later...