I Forge Iron

Chemistry of railroad steel

Anyone know the carbon content/alloys in the "3" or "w" shaped pieces of 1/2" stock you find around old track? I don't even know what function they play with the track, does anyone even know what I'm talking about?

If I had to guess I'd think they're something like track keys to hold track down, they're roughly shaped like the aforementioned letters, albeit they are a little elongated and misshapen on one side.

The only one I had on hand has already been hammered beyond recognition and combing the internet hasn't turned up much, I was just wondering if anyone had ever tried turning one into an axe blade before.
Main concern is how to harden and temper the steel (if that's even possible). I don't know whether to use water, brine or oil and I'm not sure how funny alloys affect the color drawn in a temper. Anyone have any experience? I usually stick with files for blades, this was an experiment born out of boredom.

Everyone seems to wonder what the RR parts are called, Why not just do a little research by checking into the RR suppliers - most of their sites have pictures with the actual names of the items in question. Also maybe a e-mail to them about what steels they are made from - as they should know first hand. Tell them you doing some blacksmithing and have some and would like some info on the composition. - JK

They're between 1040 and 1060.

Thanks Jeff, I spent more than an hour searching for a pic of the things and ended up taking a pic of one I have. Of course it helps to use the correct name in a search. Rail anchor. . . Rail anchor. . . Rail anchor.

Frosty

does anyone know what tie plates are? i think they are pretty hard. i jsut did a search and no good answers came up. thanks for reading.
edit: i read up and it turns ou they are about .80 percent carbon. just thought you would like to know.

Edited by new guy

Here are some similar pieces I found on my recent outing. I a few of the 3 shaped ones of varying thickness:

dscf0002fsm.jpg

Some channel ones:

dscf0006x.jpg

And the whole haul:
dscf0008m.jpg

And yes, the tie plates are really loud so I think I'm going to keep on searching for another ASO option.

Tie plates are mild steel but are absolutely perfect for mounting a rail anvil or other rail tools. Rail makes outstanding stake type tools for specialty forming.

They make good chisel plates as well.

Frosty

Frosty

I have been out of contact for several weeks. I was in China for a couple of those weeks and the amount of new construction there is incredible.

They are also having a Stimulus Program going on for 3 Trillion Yuan (1USD = 6.8 Yuan). The entire capacity of the Chinese Railway industry, which is about 3 times the North American industry is consumed on domestic High Speed Rail Projects. The startup time for the Stimulus Package from the time they decided to proceed to the time concrete started pouring was 4 months.

We are now involved in almost the same thing in Brazil was heavy haul freight. In other countries money is actually being spent putting people to work and money in circulation, here it just seems to be disappearing.

after browsing this post i went on walk with my son down a old track line that is semi-dismanteled. i scored large. heaps of spikes for practice, a couple of plates and rail anchors too. there is lots more scattered all around but wow that stuff is heavy and three year olds cant carry much..............

Forgot to mention I got a hold of a technician who ultimately said anchors can be made of all sorts of steel depending on the make and era. Eh, experimenting is part of the fun.

For ASO, ever think of welding a tie plate to a piece of 10" I beam? It wouldn't be great but it's an aso we're talking about and the added mass should help keep down the ring.

Edited by Macadaciouse

China eh? Welcome back. I won't even ask if you stopped in and visited Philip, I hear china's even larger than Alaska. :o

I don't know what to say about stimulus packages, no matter where they're happening. WE have to pay for them no matter what, not the . . . BLEEPING STINKING BLEEPS spending it. :mad:

Where it's going here is pretty clear. Did you hear our glorious leader took at 500 people to the G-20 conferences in his entourage? Limos, helicopters, chefs, docs, etc. etc. Times aren't so tough on someone else's dime eh?

At least other folk will have SOMETHING but debt to show.

Frosty

Frosty

I have been out of contact for several weeks. I was in China for a couple of those weeks and the amount of new construction there is incredible.

They are also having a Stimulus Program going on for 3 Trillion Yuan (1USD = 6.8 Yuan). The entire capacity of the Chinese Railway industry, which is about 3 times the North American industry is consumed on domestic High Speed Rail Projects. The startup time for the Stimulus Package from the time they decided to proceed to the time concrete started pouring was 4 months.

We are now involved in almost the same thing in Brazil was heavy haul freight. In other countries money is actually being spent putting people to work and money in circulation, here it just seems to be disappearing.

I use a tie plate for a bench anvil... for light riveting and straigtening. also for making hammer wedges and putting the cold chisel to them. A friend of mine deals in railroad stuff, memorabilia, so what I get from is legal. Weird rules for rr stuff isn't there?

I understand they don't want people pulling up the rails for scrap money but still... when they tear up old rails to lay new rails.. it just lays there in piles for decades.....

I would think a tie plate would make a great traveling anvil, cut it down a bit, put spikes through the holes on a good solid stump.... not perfect... must get another plate and stump and experiment...... or cut and drift square holes to hold stake tools.... so many possibilities...

There is another plate that they use as part of putting a switch together.
It is roughly an inch thick and makes a great holder for anvil stakes and other tools as well as a great cuttin block. When you look at it you can see that it s forged for two rails to lay side byside.
I lost mine but if I can find another one I'll weld it to my bench.

There is another plate that they use as part of putting a switch together.
It is roughly an inch thick and makes a great holder for anvil stakes and other tools as well as a great cuttin block. When you look at it you can see that it s forged for two rails to lay side byside.
I lost mine but if I can find another one I'll weld it to my bench.

I've got one of those I was thinking of putting legs on it for an anvil stand:D

Anyone know the carbon content/alloys in the "3" or "w" shaped pieces of 1/2" stock you find around old track? I don't even know what function they play with the track, does anyone even know what I'm talking about?

If I had to guess I'd think they're something like track keys to hold track down, they're roughly shaped like the aforementioned letters, albeit they are a little elongated and misshapen on one side.
If you watch the track as a train rolls over it, it moves up and down in the gravel (ballast) a good inch. The rail anchors keep the ties from moving around (proper spacing).

Where it's going here is pretty clear. Did you hear our glorious leader took at 500 people to the G-20 conferences in his entourage? Limos, helicopters, chefs, docs, etc. etc. Times aren't so tough on someone else's dime eh?

Frosty
Did that come from stimulus money or was it just 'your gov't at work'?

Almost any money spent domestically stimulates the economy, hopefully Britain will reciprocate on the money spent there. We do have conferences here occasionally... Edited by BeaverDamForge