I Forge Iron

This machete was a joint effort between my 15 yr old student Chris and myself. His grandfather has been bringing him to class for about 3 years now. So Chris wanted to make him a blade for the farm work, as a thank you. Grandfather told us what tasks he wanted it to perform, we did the rest, some gift huh?

15.5 inch 5160H blade, 1/4 thick, 2 1/8 wide, 21 inches over all, and tempered at 450F. POB is 2 inches in front of stabilized and figured maple handle, with 4 brass pins. you can see it is full tang to take abuse with an Oil finish. Works well on up to almost 3 inch green maple and pine branches with single chop, needed 6 chops for an old 4x4 fence post.

I added an edge to the tip curve also for getting to roots, as this will be carried in the tractor, he has a little land to clear of sucker trees.

14164.attach

Edited by steve sells
addition

All steel mill melt spec's have a variance for the alloys content. the 5160H is a tighter allowance in how much of what they have added. So rather than a carbon variance range of 0.56 to .064 in the specs as with a standard 5160, this is closer to 0.58 - 0.62 carbon allowed, etc...

so I assume H is short for Higher tolerances?

Edited by steve sells
typo

Hi Steve,
That`s a handsome machete. Is that rainbow reflection due to the oil you applied or is it the result of heat treating and so on? We use a lot of those here in the tropics, of course they ain`t that nice... Nelson

I may be a little of the oil, but it is mainly from flame treating of the wood while hand sanding with 600 grit :)

• 1 month later...