I Forge Iron

Need help! Demo ideas for special ed kids.

I have been asked to do a blacksmithing demo next month for some special ed juniors and seniors. They saw a film that showed some blacksmithing and want to see it actually done. I know some of the guys and when their counselor called, I said yes.
Being primarily a knife forger, I could use some input. I plan on making a dinner bell and striker for their game room, and a coat hook for each one who attends.(5)
Any input would be appreciated.

I think you have a fine demo lined up.

I don't know what you mean my "special ed" students but can tell you you aren't going to hold most people's attention through making even just five coat hooks and a dinner bell.

If you check out the excellent thread posted by Gerald Boggs regarding his recent demos you'll find some very good pointers about preparation.

My suggestion is to have most of the work done on the hooks so you can finish them quickly but do something on each attendee's hook so they can say they saw you make it for them.

Depending on what you have in mind for the dinner bell will determine how much to do in advance. If it's going to be simple and reasonably plain you might be able to do the whole thing at the demo. If you're planning on some cool twists or other adornment besides finial scrolls you'll probably want to do all the prep in advance.

Showing scrolls at a demo is always good for oohs and ahs which is what you're looking for here.

The big thing to keep in mind is the attention span of an audience, THIS audience specifically. For the average audience a 20 min demo is about how long you can expect to hold their attention. You can do a longer demo if you break it up into segments with chalk talks or are good at the patter and can keep them entertained.

Not know what kind of special needs folk you'll be performing for I can't say what their attention span will be. I'd be talking to their councilor(s) and getting some details.

Frosty

Arrange in advance with the staff to have cookies and or a drink at the end of the demo. When you ring the bell it is time for the refreshments to appear. Tell them that sure enough, the dinner bell does work. (grin)

I have found that a hot twist done with a little showmanship is always the best crowd pleaser:) Simple yes, but the folks from 4 to 100 love it and are amazed that steel can be twisted so easy.

If it were me I would have 5 coat hooks already made 'just in case'. Still make 5 in front of them (if that was your originally plan) but have the other ones in case something goes wrong, takes too long, etc. That way no one will be left out.

I don't know about these kids but I know when I was a junior or senior I would have loved to have seen some knives!

Be advised that loud sudden noises are not tolerated well by this type of group. Talk with the teachers ahead of time and ask about noises. You'll need to have seats for them and assign boundary's like no one can go past the rope.

..........I make a leaf on the end of a piece of 3/8" square bar. It goes quick (if you know what you are doing) and it is a good example of how metal is moved. People don't understand that metal is in a plastic state when it is heated to forging temperature. The leaf shape is so different, from what it was originally, that it catches people off guard. Most people can "see" how a bar is bent. A leaf is simple, yet magical. Good luck ;)

Having a handicapped couple as neighbors and good friends of about 10yrs now, I've learned something; that once you have befriended them, they REALLY love you. I'm sure you have found this out too since you said you know some of them. And with their hearts they way they are; they may really appreicate Heart-shaped things: keytags or coathooks etc.

Willy

Something to do with the "pre-made" hooks would be twist them on site, each one a little different from the last. I liked Glenn's idea with the cookies and punch after the "ringing of the bell"! Possibly make a seperate hook for the bell to hang on. Also, to get the heart theme into the demo, make the bell in a heart shape. Being a knife only smith, you may want to do a little practice run in your shop with what you plan to do in the demo. Time yourself when you do it so you can give the counselors an idea of how long you will need. You can always adjust to their needs once you have an idea of how long you will take. I also agree with Medieval about making leaves. This is what I do mainly at demos, quick and you have something that is totally different from what you started with. You could ask them what the end of a piece of 3/8" looks like to them and then make the leaf AFTER they have made their guesses. A leaf takes less than 5 min. to make and are really cool to see them "come out of the rod".

Once you have finished your demo you will have 5 life long friends. They will love you unconditionally. Treat them with dignity as I'm sure you will. You are blessed to be able to do this!

Thanks for the input guys. I plan to make the hooks ahead of time and the dinner bell will be the actual demo. I plan on some hot twists and some scroll work on the striker.
We will have home made cookies, courtesy of my wife , and serve hot dogs for lunch. I also have 4 baby goats we are having to hand raise that were abandoned by their nannies. They just love to be petted.
These guys live in a group home with almost a one on one environment with the care givers. I gave a fire extinguisher school for the workers and the guys asked a thousand questions. The training went to overtime due to the input from these great kids. Attention span won't be a problem.
Question. About 50 years ago, I saw a blacksmith cold hammer a piece of round stock and got it hot enough to light some paper to start his forge fire. Time has dimmed the old memory. Need some info on this.
Thanks.

Be advised that loud sudden noises are not tolerated well by this type of group. Talk with the teachers ahead of time and ask about noises. You'll need to have seats for them and assign boundary's like no one can go past the rope.

Very true.
I put a rope up now after having several autistic kids charge the forge.