I Forge Iron

Galv. SlackTub Repair?

WillyP

Hi All,

Hope the start of your week has been safe and productive!!

I found an old Galv. Trash Can today beside my storage garage. It seems that it must have been left behind by the neighbor who recently died. It's going to make a nice looking slack tub - if it doesn't leak! It's got a decent bottom - rusted but not rotted - and a good lid, the sides are really good, but the seam on the one side looks 'stretched' - for lack of a better way to describe it. All the folds are still fully intact, and I plan to tap it back to flat and hope that it's still got a seal, and does not leak.

If by chance it does not seal, has anyone tried sealing these seams with some sort of sealer with success? Maybe an epoxy or something?

This bucket is much better than the one I am using because of the wider opening, and it has a lid - And I just plain like it more than the little steel pail I've got now!

Thanks - And have a great day!

Willy

The simplest and best repair is to just clean it and solder it. Galvy solders very easily with a copper or torch. Just don't overheat it and burn the galvy if you use a torch, solder won't stick if you do that. Health risks burning galvy too.

Frosty

• 3 weeks later...

At work we have a Galv. SlackTub that students keep droping pieces of quarter inch steel into, and every once in a while they drop it in corner first and it punches a hole in the bottom and makes a big mess. This happened a couple of times in the shop then we gave up and made them take the metal out side to cool it. Any way now when this happens we let the thing dry out then take it into the shop which has a high volume ventalation system and just weld a piece of 10 guage on the bottom. Come to think of it I don't think the original bottom even exists.