I Forge Iron

Greetings All

Caeric

Hey all,

I have read much about forging, and have long since been interested in becoming involved with all parts of smithing. In recent years, I have read of neo-forging, and have bought a few books, but have not the courage to do it completely solo - As I'd like the guidance from someone who has made the mistakes I am invariably going to make, pick me up, put out the fire, and show me a better way to go about it. Several years ago when living up north, I asked if I could hang out and learn at a forge that dealt almost exclusively with knives (which I'll detail why in a moment), but was given a really harsh and resounding no. I exited stage left, and have been in the background until.... well just now! ;-)

When I was young, my Father and I were in the Scouting movement together, and camped with frequency. Every trip, he would bring his trusty fixed blade knife in an old battered leather sheath. It had nicks and dents on the backside of the blade and wooden handle from usage through the ages, but was always razor sharp as my Father loved this knife. One trip, we had to pull to the side of the road for a repair on our u-haul trailer, and I put his knife and sheath on the roof of the car, after we used it for some task. We completed the repairs, got back into the car, and drove off. Several miles down the road, he noticed that he didn't have his knife (or more importantly I didn't have it), and pulled over. After we re-traced my steps, we flew down the road back to the site of the loss. We found his sheath, but his blade was gone. I offered to save up my cash, and buy a new one for him but he sadly explained that he had got that knife from a kit when he was my age, filed down the blank, sanded down the handle parts, and crimped the handle together all himself. He further explained that those kits haven't been on the market in years - and we moved on from that horrible moment in time.

After 15 years, I have searched for a way to replace this knife for my Father, and I can think of no better way to repay my him, well for being him, than to make a replacement for him. The reason why I am here? I live in Charlotte, NC and want to find someone who can guide an enthusiastic soul like myself through crafting a knife as a Christmas gift for my Dad. Although I am not talented artistically, never took shop in school, I am a quick study. Like everyone else, I don't have a ton of cash, but can trade in expertise in my own field (computers), and general labor for whatever needs done. Although now a city boy, I love the outdoors, and am absolutely not afraid to get dirty.

With that rather verbose introduction, if you can help, thank you. If you have a friend that can help, thank you. If you just plain know a guy who knows a guy that can help, thanks! My father is retiring this year, after a long and distinguished career in the Forces, and I can think of no better gift to him for Christmas. Thanks in advance for the consideration, heck, thanks for reading this, even my wife doesn't know the knife guilt I suffer ;-).

Welcome to IFI Caeric. Great story and there is lots of info here to help. Maybe if you put a post in the Knife section you may get more responses to your quest for help. Also, go into your control panel and put in your location. There may be someone just around the corner from you on the site already.

Cheers

Welcome aboard Caeric, glad to have ya.

What a story. I agree, making him a replacement knife yourself would be the closest you could come to returning his to him.

Please repost your story to the knife section.

Click "User CP" at the top of the page and edit your profile to show your location. There are quite a few blacksmiths in your area and I'm sure plenty of bladesmiths as well, all they need is to know you're around.

Frosty

Friday night we have a knife chat here in our chat room Friday 10PM eastern, they are reposted in this section of the forum. Read them and most the rest of this section, and you will have a better idea of what you are in for, if they don't scare you away, then I expect to see you in the Knife Chat every friday :)

Welcome to the group.

Friday night we have a knife chat here in our chat room Friday 10PM eastern, they are reposted in this section of the forum. Read them and most the rest of this section, and you will have a better idea of what you are in for, if they don't scare you away, then I expect to see you in the Knife Chat every friday :)

Welcome to the group.

I didn't know this Steve. Where are they posted? Not having any luck finding that thread. Can you post the link?
Thanks
Scott

Howdy from East TEXAS!! and welcome to IFI! First off I'm sorry to hear about the loss of your Dad's knife but you have set yourself on a worthy mission by trying to make a replacement. Very Cool. I'm saddened by the fact you were so harshly drumed out of the knife shop you attempted to learn from...but was probably for the best! I have never met any blacksmith or bladesmith that is/was not willing to share their knowledge! You have found some of the best in the business here on IFI. Take advantage of their knowledge, I'm sure they will be open with it. If $$ and time allows there is the ABS school just north of Hope, ARK. You can take a 2week class during the summer there and learn bladesmithing...at least it will wet your appitite for more! I'm sure there are other schools in the country that offer classes for blades but the is the American Blade Society school for bladesmiths. (no I personnally have not attended but have numorous friends that have and they sware by it. Maybe one day....sigh)
Good luck and once again, welcome!

good luck on replacing your dads knife. try to get some old leaf springs for the blade. i have used them on a knife and it turned out well. also make some practice blades first beacause you will make mistakes (like me). have fun and get good quality leather from the tandy leather factory (5-6 oz or 7-9 oz tooling bellies are good).

Another idea for your delimma. Almost all of the knife materials suppliers seel knife kits. Google for them and see what you find. Order two along with your dad and when they arrive put them together as a team effort. You will get a great blade and time with dad. Get them already heat treated and polished so you can go right to work without learning those skills before you begin. Each of you select the handle materials of your choice. Make sure they both are different, and you can even get a ready made sheathe or make your own. Turn this around into a very positive thing for each of you.