I Forge Iron

When size matters- 750 lb West Anvil

I know someone in Virginia that actually has one. Looks the same. Very nice anvil but a little overkill for most of us. I just wonder what the chain was for, I mean seriously, if that thing moves a little chain like that isn't going to do anything!

That price is actually pretty decent. I paid that price, maybe a little more for my Gladiator w/ shipping. I don't know if its a fair starting price for an anvil you can't inspect, has no guarantee or return policy, but it looks like it's in quite shape. 750# is insanely impressive. I think the biggest I've seen was like a 1000lb'er or bigger. Very cool anvil, but the pattern doesn't suit my needs.

If it ends up in a collectors hands hopefully they will bring it back to luster. If there really are only a few left in America it might not actually be such a bad thing if it's treated as more of a museum piece and less of a workhorse.

I know someone in Virginia that actually has one. Looks the same. Very nice anvil but a little overkill for most of us. I just wonder what the chain was for, I mean seriously, if that thing moves a little chain like that isn't going to do anything!

That chain is to take the ring out, not to secure it. However even for taking the ring out it seems undersized. Maybe it's just because it's lassoed onto such a big monster :rolleyes:

That chain is to take the ring out, not to secure it. However even for taking the ring out it seems undersized. Maybe it's just because it's lassoed onto such a big monster :rolleyes:

Is it cast iron w/steel plate or cast steel?

The reason why I ask is because if it is cast iron with a steel plate, you wouldn't think it would require any ring-deadening techniques.