I Forge Iron

Given a choice, Vermiculite or Perlite for annealing?

I can pick up bags of either one at the local (really local, so good) home improvement/hardware store. Is one better for use as a insulating material for slow cooling blades for annealing? I'm just getting started in this stuff.

Thanks,
Barnaby

Barnaby. I use wood ashes from my fireplace. I keep them in a metal trough(bucket, tub, anything metal will do). When I anneal the steel I just pre-heat the ashes with a red-hot chunk of scrap and then put the steel in the ashes, leave until cool to the touch(I go 24 hours) and your blade should be soft enough to work. A disclaimer: I use old files and 5160 for my knives so my annealing process may be primitive. Other, more learned makers here should be able to fill you in on their process with materials more sophisticated than mine. Good Luck!

I've use vermiculite with great sucess. Wood ash is ok but not suitable for larger pieces of steel in my opinion. Its insulating properties break down as time passes. Vermiculite is stable, and chemically neutral which can not be said for wood ash. You might get a better price on vermucilite from a builder supply. Vermiculite is often used as insulation in cement block installations.

At one time I had some truck springs from gravel trucks. They are on the order of 3/4 inch thick by 2 1/4 long.

I found that I had to bury material in vermiculite to get it soft enough for my saw to cut easily. It also took a good 15 min soak at temp to get the steel heated through also.

• 12 years later...

well.... i got perlite, and nobody said anything about it being used.  I thought perlite was what I wanted and then realized it was actually vermiculite that I was wanting.  So I guess I will go with the advice above and just get a bucket of it set up and see how it works.  Hopfully I can report back in a few days and add my experience for future people to see.