I Forge Iron

Ok - newb question propane cylinder freezing

WillyP

First off - if there is a thread on this out there already that I have missed, just send me to it and I'll read it - I've been scanning through the pages of posts and reading through a ton of great stuff but just have not found the answer yet.

How in the world do I keep my propane cylinder from freezing up?

I'm sure you all know this story..... I run fine for a while and as soon as that puppy gets frosty..... no more pressure.

My plan to solve this is to get my hands on a 100lb (min) tank. Will it work?

Thanks in advance!!

Willy

Hey! Being Frosty is all about NO pressure! :rolleyes:

A 100lb tank will let you forge all day with two 3/4" burners or one 1" burner without freezing up. It may be good for more burners than that but I've never run more than two all day so . . .

Putting your smaller tank in your slack tub will work just fine. Just don't let it tip upside down or it'll squirt liquid propane through your burner into the hot forge. This is B-A-D!

Frosty

Yup, bigger tank... or half of a 55 gl drum or a garbage can. An old wash tub is ideal... I think I would stear clear of the slack tub. Nothing cuts through a hose like hot steel:o
Willy-
what size tank are you using... @ what PSI?
Frosty-
2 1" burners @ 10 psi for several hours...stop for lunch etc. ran fine. Just enough frost to make you feel at home but not enough to slow the flow...:)

So true about keeping hot iron away from the propane hose. When I've used the slack tub on a too small tank, I lean the tank against the far side with the hose hooked over the edge to keep it from tipping over.

Alright! Now I can tell folks it'll run two 1" burners for several hours without freezing. Just one question, how big is IT?

Make me feel at home eh? You put it to chilling beers? :rolleyes:

Frosty

Even in Aussie we have freezing problems with LPG, we used to manifold 2 45KG bottles together, but even then they would freeze when getting low. The problem is too fast a draw off rate for the amount of gas, creates an isothermic reation. My solution was to install 3 100KG tanks outside, result cheaper gas, no freezing, still have to go through our first winter with the new set up, it can get very cold in Kurri Kurri, almost down to 15 degrees C in winter, so we'll see how that goes. My solution to you would be get a bigger bottle or mainfold 2 or more together.

it can get very cold in Kurri Kurri, almost down to 15 degrees C in winter,

Hehe.... 'Very cold' 15C huh? Winter is now past.... the nice weather is here!!! It's 9C - but on it's way to 15C this afternoon!!! T-shirt weather!!!

Hehe.... Funny how we all climatize differently eh?

A few years ago at a blacksmithing convention, we started to freeze up a 20# bar-b-que "pig" tank running a single burner Daryl Nelson style forge. It was only 95 degrees (F) with about 90% humidity! We just slid one of the quench tubs over and set it in. Yes, it kept the beer cool!

And we also just about killed off the main demo guy. He came up from Arizona where he was used to 110 (F) temps. But our normal high humidity really go to him.

I run a simple Daryl Nelson style single burner forge, and feed it from a 100# cylinder. I only have freezing problems when the tank is running low - and then only after several hours of running. If it gets too bad, I can just switch over to the other tank on the normal "household" lp gas regulator. But I have used that extra brass coupling/tubing to hook two tanks in series before (to feed a large commercial gas range with 2 ovens, 6 burners, and a grill).

Mikey - that grumpy ol' German blacksmith out in the Hinterlands

I like the sound of your kitchen range. I have to make do with a 48" Viking range top, only 4 burners, 12" flat top and a 12" char grill.

Frosty

Our cowboy/old west club got that commercial restaurant range, and we used it in the old west town we were building. The right "cook" could run a lot of food through it in a short amount of time! But it drew more LP gas than one 100# cylinder could feed it when you had that grill, one oven, and several burners running. So we linked two 100# cylinders in series to feed it.

But now it is in storage, along with most of the rest of our club furnishings. After 20 some years, we had to move out of the farm place we were converting into that old west type town. One of the land owners decided that he had to personally make money off of what we had built and all of OUR stuff - by renting it out to other people/groups/clubs! So our club pulled out and took all our "toys" with us. We left a handful of stripped buildings behind. And that land owner's "dreams" of a money machine to crank died when we left. Now he will probably end up losing the whole property. He hasn't asked out club to come back - yet.

And then there is that 16" x 16" tabletop commercial restaurant grill that I picked up at a household auction years ago - with two burners on the side. A 20# bar-b-que pig tank will feed it without problems or freezing. It's great for those pancake/sausage suppers for the church or legion.

Mikey

We actually do get down into the minuses here but only on a few days each year. Not like you blokes up in the northern hemishere, months of snow n ice. I just could'nt resist seeing if I got a bite from somewhere that gets really cold, and it worked. Some times it gets so cold here that the flame in the furnace freezes and we can't turn the furnace off to go home. Now I'm really starting to spread the bull.
Phil