I Forge Iron

how to make hardy tools?

Ahh thanks. I forgot that part. I'll have to use red and blue and see if those 3d glasses I've been hanging onto work. :rolleyes:

That IS the idea but I never thought of using the 3D glasses in real time. Maybe with the red and blue lights set up at the same time. . .

Hmmmmm.

Frosty

• Replies 56
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• 2 weeks later...

Anyone try a powder keg style bearing to make a hardy or are they too brittle? I found some bearings at work that got changed out with about a 4 in bore and about 10 in OD on the outer race. The inner race is about 1 in or better thick and the outer race is about 1 1/4 thick.

I did a search and seems some folks use them to make knives but never saw for hardys.

Drifter

• 2 years later...
  • 4 months later...

i wonder, is there a way to make a guotine without welding? that would be a really cool tool. thanks for the replies.

Forge weld it. And how did the guy I'm replying to get banned? You've gotta really look for something to be a jerk about with this group, I'd think. All good folks, from what I've seen.

Another way to make tools for the hardie hole is to forge weld pieces together to make the mass you need and your shoulders. In using mild steel this process will also add a lot of carbon to it so that you can heat treat it. I recently welding up one using this pattern:

post-1310-0-96809700-1327926629_thumb.jp

This welded up real nice and fast. I does help to be able to tack them in place before forge welding but I have used tongs to hold the pieces in place for the first weld. Also it was faster and less work than all the hammering required to upset the block into the hardie hole.

I use this tool for demonstrations so I never know the size anvil or hardie holes I'll have to work with. My original stock size is 3/4" square. I over lap this and each additional layer with 1/8" thick angle iron and simply screw them together with a flat head screw that takes me all the way up to 1-1/8" square hole in 1/8" increments. You do have to grind off the outside corner of the angle so it fits in the inside radius of the next angle. The more pieces you add the further out the tapped hole moves on the angle so then you either need a larger angle or need to weld a piece so it still hits the hole. see photos. You are increasing the size across the diagonal so it works real well.

post-1310-0-32664300-1327926971_thumb.jp post-1310-0-27713500-1327927002_thumb.jp post-1310-0-50178100-1327927027_thumb.jp post-1310-0-49779500-1327927048_thumb.jp