I Forge Iron

Look what I made: Dragon with fold formed wings

I call it Icarus Wyrm

I just finished this the other day. 1/2 square stock, a bit of roofing copper, and one strand of copper wire. About four hours work, partly because of poor planning.

When I do another of these, I would draw out nearer the head before doing anything to form the head. I would cut the "easy to burn horns" as late as possible. I would add a bottom lip so the tongue is more obviously a tongue.

Not sure if this will sell or not. Looking for about $180, but that seems high to me.

-Doug

13293.attach

13294.attach

13295.attach

13296.attach

Not bad at all.

The tongue's too much for my taste though, it looks longer than the wyrm. Maybe texture, chase it and perhaps a brass wash to look like flame.

I like the idea of fold forming the wings. Makes me want to do a little experimenting.

I think you're onto something, maybe not there yet but on the right track.

Frosty

Very nice! I like the head! As frosty said, the tongue is a bit long for me too.

May I suggest using solder for the wings? I think the wire is a distraction from the nice line of the body.

I look forward to seeing the next one!!! Keep up the good work!!!

The tonge make me think of those joss stick burners. Maybe by putting an upward bend on the end with a small hole to put the stick in - the tounge would catch the ash and the smoke would go well with the dragon theme.

Its fine as it is - I just like things that have a function aswell as looking great. - might help it sell.

well done.

A good first go around. Don't take the comments as criticism on the part of others though. The idea of posting something like that is to get feedback and a different point of view from your own. Everyone has a different view and see things differently and I am sure that it will help you see it in a different manner as well. I too feel the extended tongue is a bit much but as Frosty said a bit of a burnishing with a brass brush to give it more of a flame effect will dramatically change the look. Good job on it though just the same. It does inspire one to take a stab at creating something like that and that is really what this whole forum is about.;)

Terry

Nice! Dragons are always popular... I did one while I was working at the Amusement Park shop that I used to work in- As luck would have it, they have a roller coaster there called the 'Iron Dragon'.

I love the copper wings, But I also think that perhaps the tongue is a bit much. I did brass flames for mine... Regrettably, mine 'flew away' from the shop just before it was completed, I went in to open up one morning and the entire project, which was in pieces waiting to be assembled, had vanished.

-Andrew

I should give credit to my instructor at Prospect Hill Forge in Boston. This was my model:

Prospect Hill Forge - YoungDragonSmall

I do like the idea of making him more functional. Maybe making him balance an incense cone holder on the tongue or a small candle. I have been setting a breath mint on his tongue in the office.

He would not work for incense in stick form. It is hard to tell from photos, but the tongue has a graceful curve. I bet I could straighten it and put the incense hole in the mouth.

I think I started with this being all about the tongue, but now it is all about the wings. I am thinking of giving him a tongue-ectemy, but it seems wrong to make a major modification to a piece after I have declared it finished.

I was hoping to do a more graceful attachment of the wings, and will try next time. I kind of like the whimsical way it looks like he tied them on himself- thus "Icarus Wyrm"

Thanks for comments. I think my instructor pulled off the tongue much better. What is it about his that makes it work? I think it is relatively shorter, and he has a bottom lip.

This brass wash that Frosty mentions. How is that done? I already used an angle grinder with brass wire wheel, but that only goes so far. It was done cold.

Thanks,
Doug

Hi Doug,
I agree with the guys above, and would only add a little detail: getting the tongue right is critical and not easy. What about taking a pic of the dragon profile, load it on your PC and take many copies, print that multiple copies sheet and draw different tongs on each one of those images. When you`re satisfied with one of them, make that tongue with thin plate that you can manage easy, or thicker if you dare. I`m sure you`ll get something interesting. The leaf looking wings look great, and if you strap them around neck by their stems so to speak, that might be another way. In all,

With the steel at black heat simply brush it with a brass brush and it'll deposit brass on the steel. Works with copper too and if I ever find a bronze brush I'll give that a shot.

A brass wash is done at a higher temp so the brass melts onto the steel just like brazing. Well, it IS brazing, just not for a join. It needs to be clean and fluxed but it can be laid quite thinly. Then a little sand paper and the steel will show through as highlights.

Experimenting on "scrap" is a good idea so you know what to expect and develop a technique that works for you and the particular project.

Frosty

Don't worry about having it declared finished! Lots of artwork is 'developed', even the great masters might have made tens of sketches, scaled down models etc, before evolving the so called finished piece. I have seen loads of examples of this in sculpture and painting, so don't worry if you are not entirely happy with this piece. Alter it or make another then another, you will probably never be entirely happy with any piece but guess what, the flaws that you see may be invisible to others. Its called the creative process, enjoy it or at least use it to develop you work. Keep up the good work.

Mick

I think it's great I had a huge smile looking at it. I never thought it was a tongue it looks like he is shooting out flames on the unsuspecting populace, and I was unsure about the wire until you explained the icarus thing, I am still smiling, leave the wire
kevin benge

I call it Icarus Wyrm

I just finished this the other day. 1/2 square stock, a bit of roofing copper, and one strand of copper wire. About four hours work, partly because of poor planning.

When I do another of these, I would draw out nearer the head before doing anything to form the head. I would cut the "easy to burn horns" as late as possible. I would add a bottom lip so the tongue is more obviously a tongue.

Not sure if this will sell or not. Looking for about $180, but that seems high to me.

-Doug

urnesbeast it is a dragon ready to tilt at don quixote

• 3 weeks later...

i really like yr dragon and like someone else said up there i dont think critisisms are being made just interesting objective comments which are always good i reckon. i thought the tongue was fire too! and as for the finished piece thing i agree with mick- you can do whatever you want with your work - thats the joy of it -you can faff about for ever with your dragon if youre still not quite happy. i really like his wings, and would def make him some friends and see how they turn out if you dont want to cut his tongue off!

• 2 months later...
Works with copper too and if I ever find a bronze brush I'll give that a shot.

Frosty

Go to your local marina or boat supply store and ask for bronze wool. (or look it up online) The stuff is uses to refinish teak wood because the bits that fall off won't corrode in the marine environment.
Phil