I Forge Iron

Shop photos

Happy Easter to everyone on IForgeIron. I have been meaning to properly introduce myself.

My name is John. I live along the bank of the Yellowstone River in South Central Montana, USA. I was born and raised in Montana and love the "Big Sky County."

My wife and I have two kids that keep life interesting. I work a full time job aside from my metal work. We also raise a few cows, put up hay and run a few horses too. What ever it takes to keep from having any free time on our hands.

I thought I would attach a few photos for you to see what the shop looks like. Seems like there is a lot of anvil envy here, so I included a few shots of my two main anvils as well.

I built my forge myself and used burners from Zoeller Forge. They work great and get up to heat in a hurry.

This is a great site and full of loads of usefull info.

If you have time I would love to see some pictures of your shop setups as well.

All the best,

John

13214.attach

13215.attach

13216.attach

13217.attach

13218.attach

13219.attach

My son is 7 and likes to help in the shop. The small anvil was a gift to him from my Uncle, who is also a blacksmith.

The tumber is obviously a used 100# propane bottle. It works great, but makes a significant amount of noise. I use fence staples for matrix in the tumbler.

The press is obviously homemade. I bought the cylinder, but used parts I had around the shop for the rest. I have long hoses so I can hook up to the hydraulic connectors of my 35 horse Kubota tractor. I can leave the tractor outside and shut the door and still run the hoses under the door. I don't know how to tell the exact tonnage, but I guess the press will push about 20 ton.

13220.attach

13221.attach

13222.attach

13223.attach

13224.attach

John, that shop is too clean!! You sure that you work in there? LOL. Nice looking shop. Welcome to IFI. You're right in that there is a wealth of info on here. Keep that young man hammering. Here's a picture of my shop. Not nearly as big as yours.
http://www.iforgeiron.com/gallery/showphoto.php/photo/11082/ppuser/1675

Edited by CurlyGeorge

John,

Nice shop you have there! I also have shop envy. Sounds like we have a few things in common. I also have a wife and two kids, keep a few horses, and have enough going on to prevent spare time to get into trouble.

Look forward to hearing from you on the site.

Hi John-
Welcome!
I spent about 6 years in the yellowstone country... Over on the Madison. Went back a few years ago and almost cried, all the development thats gone on....

Nice shop and I agree, too clean!
Looking froward to seeing some of your projects!!

I've learned a bunch here so far. Now something else I hope.
I've heard them mentioned a couple of times, what all is a tumbler used for.

And yes " a nice clean shop ". I like the size, mines so small and over 100 years old.
It was my Great Grandfathers so I like it no matter the size.

I use the tumbler to remove scale off all sorts of forged pieces. If they are small enough to fit in the forge they go in there.

I put a timer on it so I can turn it on when I leave for the office job and it will turn itself off after a couple hours.

I used a 3/4 sucker rod as the axle for the tumbler. It runs completely through the barrel.

A note to anyone building one of these with a 100# propane tank. The top of the tank is not necessarily true to the rest of the barrel and for that matter neither is the base. I have the impression the top and bottom are welded on by a monkey in a hurry. And as long as it doesn't leak no one cares what it looks like.

Getting the barrel to roll true was a big project. It was a must for me, because as you can see I used the barrel itself as a pulley.

I welded angle iron baffels on the inside to help stir the matrix as it tumbles along.

All the best,

John