I Forge Iron

Reflective Shine

I am curious what the steps are to go from a freshly forged object to one that is bright and shiny and reflective? I'm looking for step by step from start to finish and what items (tools, polishes, pads...) are used in the process. I want to put some really nice finishes on some of my work, but I just don't understand how to complete this.

I start with a regular wheel on an angle grinder, then 40 grit on angle grinder, then 80 on belt sander, then 120, then 220, grinding a 45 degree between every step to make sure I have removed all marks from previous grit, then 320 on belt sander, then the red and blue conditioning wheel by 3M on angle grinder (very light touch, remove lines don't make new ones) then to the cotton buffing wheel with white diamond for carbon steel or green rouge for stainless ( different wheels)

Buffing wheel should spin at least 1750 over 3200 is better but dangerous WEAR ALL YOUR SAFETY GEAR WHEN BUFFING FACE SHIELD, GLOVES APRON ETC you would be amazed where things go when they take off!!

I use simple green as a de greaser to take the rouge off prior to gluing up, as opposed to a solvent, have no place to dispose of dirty solvents.

Also once polished, keep finger prints off otherwise they can mark or rust

When buffing a hard hat isn't a bad piece of safety gear in addition to the rest. A good heavy leather apron or padding under what you have but most importantly stay out of the plane of rotation as much as humanly possible.

Frosty

Thanks for the replies.

ApprenticeMan & CBrann - Thanks for the info I was looking for.

Frosty - I've seen the results of not having a hard hat, or a face shield for that matter. I'd like to avoid any pain if at all possible.

Rust is always a problem with finished work of carbon or mild steel. If it is a knife I polish to a mirror finish, that leaves very few places for rust to begin. A good coat of wax takes care of it when not in use and a thorough cleaning and rewaing after use is a must. For other pieces that are decorative. Petes idea of a couple of clear coats is great. Have fun...

he did not specify on knives....if he was thinking
general forging he should use wire brush and/or angle grinder with a knotted wire wheel to remove scale....then go to a finish depending on what he is making there are a billion ways to finish something...or not

true but I assume when posting in the knife section they mean blades, Else We relocate them to the appropriate area of the forum.

Mirror finishes are nice, but a little more work to maintain in a usable blade than satin. But as Rich stated, they a so much easier to keep from rusting, and there are less places for rust to get a start.