I Forge Iron

Getting desperate for inspiration!!

Some would say I'm in a really great possition and I couldn't disagree. However, I've been working at putting this together for about 15-20 years and I'm feeling like the my drive is waining.

My shop setup has become what I have always dreampt about. I can forge steel, power hammer rebuild is almost done. I will have a furnace for casting bronze in the next couple months. Welding is no problem. I can turn wood, spin metal vesals, make pulleys on the metal lathe, mill elongated holes and new dies for the power hammer. I can cut wood into any shape or form I want. I can vacuum press or hydrolic press any shape I want. Sad thing is, now that my shop is set up to do all this work, I'm at a loss. For the life of me, I can't decide what I want to make or do.

I have been a General Contractor for the last 10 years. Before that I was foreman and lead fabricator for a wood furniture shop. Before that I built highly custom furniture while I was putting myself through collage for a degree in art and business.

For the last 6 months, while outfitting the shop I've been trying to figure out what I want to do when I grow up and I still can't decide:confused:

I'm pretty good at selling myself but I'm not inspired.

What do you guys do when the fight is leaking out of you and you feel like throwing in the towel? (read that as selling everything and my wife and I using the proceeds to work on our tans):)

It is difficult, if not impossible, to find the root of your issue and identify where you are at in life over the Infernal-net. I have watched *many* people come and go from blacksmithing for over 35 years. Some get frustrated with their skill limitations, some get bored, some discover that blacksmithing was not their interest after all. Different people have different reasons.

I see you as having two choices. First to get yourself a book of projects or a copy of Sonn's "Early American Wrought Iron" and make about 5 or 20 projects, and see if you are enjoying yourself. If making the projects does not make you happy, then you have answered your own question. The other option is to take a step back and find your passion in life, and pursue that. What you don't want to do is make a hasty decision to get rid of your tools and then find that you were just going through a brief slump in life, resulting in regretting the loss of your equipment for the rest of your life.

I strongly suggest getting a copy of Sonn's book and see if making stuff in it makes you happy or not. Then take a break from everything, possibly a vacation, clear your mind and *then* make an intelligent and informed decision.

Just my 2 cents.

Might I make a suggestion? It sounds as if you have mastered quite a bit, why don't you create a design project, that entails all of your skills into one, kind of a thesis or master project, if you will. It could be donated to an appropriate group, or added to your home, I'm not as far along as you, but I have a multi material project in mind, something like a door, that incorporates fine woodwork, carving, inlayed brass or bronze, hand forged hardware, copper repouse, lighting and glass work. With all of your shop and skills at the ready, when you are finished, that might be the time to consider "retiring" again.

The other replies pegged it pretty well and I can also relate to your angst to an extent. I've spent many years outfitting and upgrading my shop but occasionally, I just stand out there and stare at everything without much sense of purpose. It seems like the analytical, engineering side of the brain takes over and gets the mechanical part of the process completed but once all the machinery is working, the creative side goes to sleep and is hard to rouse. I went through a dry period about ten years ago when I didn't go into the shop for months at a time but fortunately, I got through that period. I've also known people who spent some number of years perfecting a hobby/vocation and then ditching it for something else because they became bored.

In my case, jobs still come along pretty regularly and that keeps the juices flowing. I like variety so have pretty much abandoned high production items in favor of custom and low volume work - it's funny how a person is drawn to one or the other and you could find that one path or the other is right. It may be more comfortable to make 20 similar items and sell them as the opportunities arise or to work with clients to make unique commissions.

In any case, I would certainly ruminate on the decision before making any snap decisions about dumping the equipment it's taken so long to accumulate.

Were it me I would suggest looking at my home, and seeing where I need something.

Or I would start working my apprentice exercises again, or looking though books and catalogs to see if there is something you see that you like and make one of your own.

I am sorry to say there are very few new ideas, just new takes on old ideas.

What do you like to make, knives, bowls, hooks whatever, make em! and relax..... and let your unconcious creative mind work, it will come up with something....

Back to basics, one hammer, one anvil, one pair of tongs and a forge. Ignore all the other kit youve got. heat the metal, watch and smell the fire, See what happens when the fog of modern day life starts to lift a little as the metal is laid on the anvil....

You might be suffering performance anxiety, youve got all the kit, and therefore no excuses. back to basics might help the fire burn a little brighter.

Back to basics, one hammer, one anvil, one pair of tongs and a forge. Ignore all the other kit youve got. heat the metal, watch and smell the fire, See what happens when the fog of modern day life starts to lift a little as the metal is laid on the anvil....

You might be suffering performance anxiety, youve got all the kit, and therefore no excuses. back to basics might help the fire burn a little brighter.

What he said...and send all your surplus kit to me...:D

I always go through spurts. Usually it's from frustration because I either can't get something to work the way I want to or come up with something new. I leave it be and try something else that I'm inspired on at the moment. It's just a hobby to me no matter how many toys and tools I have in each of the hobbies. Sometimes it means not doing anything for a while, but I eventually come across it again and want to work on it some more. Yes I have many unfinished projects cluttering the appartment and shop up a bit but they do get worked on, if only for a few days a year but I can usually finish one up by the time another inspiration comes along. I think my mother's words can sum this up from when neighbors asked her why she never sold my old guitar when I was younger and not playing, her reply was "He loved it once and he can't pick it back up when he wants to if it's not there". There is such a thing as burn-out and it usually comes from pushing too hard for too much at one thing.

My advice, inspiration never happens when you want it. Look at all the TV sitcoms that have horrible episodes every so often. It happens when it happens and, for me, usually when I least expect it. I keep looking at pictures online and in books and around me and keep a sketch book handy for when the inspiration hits me and I then I always thumb through such sketches before I get back to the forge. I also ask my significant other and family and friends if they want anything made and collaberate with them a bit for inspiration.

Hope this helps and if you need to take a few months to a year off from coming up with a project, then take the time off and reinvigorate yourself.

Hi FEwood,

I'm right there with you though it sounds like your shop is well ahead of mine good job.

I had a commercial HVAC company for 15 years. Over time my efforts went from building things to streamlining processes...best materials and use of them....best tools and equipment and use of them......best set-up and no end to improvement. I think you train yourself to work on an idea until you know it will work and then on to the next thing. It gets in your blood and the world needs people like that.

Unfortunately in the hustle I lost the pure joy of making something only for the satisfaction and that is what I'm trying to rediscover, it sounds like you are too and good luck upon you.

FWIW my wife says DaVinci had a hard time finishing things too:)

Dave

"Machine "hypnosis" must always be held at bay so that the craftsman will remain in full control of the machine and not the other way around. Alexander Weygers. "This has really stuck with me ever since i first read it .As you operate a comercal shop when was the last time you made something solely for yourself which started you on this path or my favorite when peeople get that deer in the headlight look and ask why did you make THAT, i get to say BECAUSE I CAN!!!! You also say you been working to get this far for 15-20 yrs ,it could be that the problem is you now feel your" DONE GOAL REACHED !! "by getting the tools you need not necassarly what you can now produce with them.

Here is another thought. Do a demo someplace where there are lots of kids. Ask the kids "what can I make for you" their requests should stir your creativity. Plus the positive reinforcement you get from them will be very refreshing to you and you will carry that back to your shop with you.

Boy... You guys are great!!!
I think ALL of you have touched, one way or another on what is stuck in my craw.

I think the advice of going fishing and NOT baiting the hook is solid. :D:D Had to laugh out loud on that one!

Yes there is a little bit of the "done, goal reached" syndrom and now I have to perform.:o

I think the advice to start on a project using many skills and mediums is great, too. As I always say "keep it simple so you can finish without becoming overwhelmed"

One thing I have been trying to come up with is a product I can make and sell on a semi mass produced basis. The prospect is once intriguing and also stifaling as I hate production work and see it only as a neccesary evil. Although I have enjoyed the challange for speed of production in the past.

It has been suggested by a few friends that I become a big brother voluntier. Anyone have experiance with that organization?

Burnout may be the root of all this. Sometimes it seems I'm in a foot race, I can see the finish line but never reach it. Do I realy want too anyway?

My wife and I are planning a trip to Austrialia and New Zealand in July. last "real" vacation was in '05. This may help:rolleyes:

Anyway, Good stuff all around. Thanks for the support!

I don't have direct big brother experience but a friend does that. My advice is if you get into that, is not to expect them to be interested in blacksmithing. Find out what they are interested in, try to broaden their horizons but don't try to force them into your interests.

Grief comes in man forms one of them is completion grief. It s predictable and will ease up if you move along. When we take on long term challenges and complete them it leaves us feeling at a loss as to what to do next..Sound familiar? Some of the things that have lifte me up have been listed abov e in the thread. Teaching or chareing information is a good one for me. Fishin a great idea. And setting a new goal for yourself is also high on the list. Top of that list is getting unstuck and finding one or more things that will work for you.

Unicorn Forge-
I just looked into the Sonn's book! I LOVE THAT BOOK!!! I used to sit in the library in Collage and read that book for hours. Thanks for bringing it back into the fray for me.
Back in those days, I did make some of the projects!

I can feel my pocket getting lighter as I type this.....

It`s difficult to disagree with any of the suggestions given by the guys above. After 25 years dedicated to studying and working in the field of agriculture I took the hard decission of changing jobs. At the present time I`m doing iron/wood/cement work and for personal, market and some other reasons, while I still work doing mostly steel work, there`s something else I see myself doing. Now, there`s a part of this steel or mixed media work that I would like to keep doing for money or not: sculpture. To me that`s where I can express myself, find total joy and freedom without considering if it`ll fit a budget, the client or some other restricting variable. Doing seleable work does pay bills, but do not seem to fill me mentally and expiritually. At times though, one may be undergoing a period not the most conducive to making a right decision. So taking time off is in my opinion the best you can do to start. Once back, be sincere to yourself regardless of the little or much equipment you may have. What would you really like to do? You got the answer, and if you are certain you can make a living doin what you like go do it! The other choice is to do what you like most as a hobbiest, and have some work to pay your bills regardless of the fact you may not like as much as your hobby. It`s a tough decission to make because it`s difficult to break habits, it`s hard to break ties... Take your time and don`t hurry into anything, relax and talk with your wife. Best luck. Nelson.

Thanks for the words Nelson- and others:)
Your right, its hard to turn your back on what has been the bread winner for so long... even if it is a slow, tedious and painful death.
I will always do the remodel work because that holds the challenge I need and helps pay the bills. At this point however with the slow econony in housing, I'm looking to move into what used to be my passion... The flame that heated that passion has been severely tested by the work involved in outfitting my shop and helping home owner reach there vision. I have decided (with words of incurragement from these responces) to try and have some purely creative project going while I continue outfitting my work space. My only obligation for the creative project is that I have to finish it before I begin another. I am also trying to make them small and easy...:rolleyes: