I Forge Iron

Hi DM

your question about the hardware store... i'd say no...but the pottery store may have some ingredients that'll hold up... actually making your own crucibles is sort of an art.... i've tried and with disappointing results.. ..your much better off to buy a decent clay graphite crucible from a casting supply store and then get on with the melting...

also.. you can dip something into liquid iron or steel... i do it all the time with a long 1/4 rod to see if the charge is fully liquid.... alway preheat anything that goes near the liquid steel/iron to drive off any moisture at all.... as you know, water is your enemy here...

by the way... you'd be much better off to just cutt the cable up and stick in all in the crucible and melt it completely... then no risk at all.....
- the heat in a crucible furnace needed to melt iron is on the high side...and it does demand your attention... in my opinion, i'd definitely keep the melting and forging operations separate.... ...

Greg

sorry to hear it DM.

i'm way up north and i have to order everything in... its a pain..... the crucibles are usually bout 50 bucks

- unless you have a local source of high temp fireclay.. and alot of time to read up on complex ceramics... i think you may have to wait a little till more pieces of the puzzle fall in place..

if you look around ...there are some archae papers on Indian crucibles and European crucibles ( Hessian crucibles) for melting steel.. these were all made of clay..... google around for that

good luck
G

Besides ceramic, other crucibles I have heard of suitable for melting metals are made of graphite. A small (2" x 3") can be had for around 30 US. (Surf. YMMV :)) Any materials available for a do-it-yourself-er crucible for metal melting; especially steel, should be avoided lest thou be added to the list of Darwin Award runner-ups or worse; winners!

No that mix will not work for melting steel!

Now if we told you that making your own crucibles was probably going to be more expensive, (as well as much more dangerous), than buying them---would you change your mind?

Can you mow lawns and earn a bit of extra cash to buy what you need?

Damascus mike are you a teenager or adult? if our a teen be a life guard or be a camp councelour (summers coming up). look around for jobs anywhere. or use your metal working skills to make a job. get creative moneys everywhere. just look. if you go 'boom' from an exploding crucible, the hospital trip will probably cost more then the crucible homemade or not. stay safe and be careful. good luck on finding a good crucible.

I have worked with both liquid lead and liquid aluminum, and I choose to stop for my own safety. We are trying to provide you with advice and counsel that this is not an activity you should become involved with at this point. You need to do a lot more research into the subject.

Charlotte said it best
The consequences of even a small equipment failure, or personal failure (being tired, being distracted, etc) are so tragic when molten metal comes in contact with the human body that even the slightest additional risk is unacceptable.

• 2 weeks later...