I Forge Iron

Recent Steak Turners

I have a show next week at a bull sale. I have been thinking about these type of turners for a while and trying the forks as well.

The square turners are all made from 3/8 and the round one is made from 5/16.

I hardened the tines with super quench and am pleased with the hardness of the times.

All have a vegetable oil finish and seasoned.

Thoughts and comments would be appreciated.

Thanks,

12882.attach

12883.attach

12884.attach

12885.attach

12886.attach

12887.attach

12888.attach

12889.attach

12890.attach

12891.attach

interesting dezigns.... kinda wonder why you bothered to quench tines in super quench.... it wont last past the first time someone leaves it in the coals of the bbq to burn off the leftover marsmallow.... or like one of my coustomers "we wanted to burn some wood signs but when the fork tines were red hot they bent easy can you straighten um out?" but have fun!

The super quench seemed like a good idea at the time....isn't that how so many things start? It seemed like a good idea at the time....

I have the bucket open and near the forge so they went in the super quench.

Maybe a small tag to remind folks these aren't part of a wood burning set!

I seasoned them with vegetable oil. Got them on the north side of warm, slathered on the oil and then kept them hot for a while. All outside in the propane BBQ!

That is the only place I can season the food untensils that doesn't drive my bride crazy.

When you include the tag about it not being a wood burning iron add a line about it costing a few bucks to straighten the tines if they try.

Nice spread of forks and turners. I tend to have trouble coming up with decorative chachkas for things, it's good to see other ideas.

Frosty

Say, don't know if this is a good or bad idea, but you seem to be able to split well, that re-entry handle looks great, what about starting with a bit larger stock, split a long section at the handle end, then rounding it with a drift etc.

Then, heating it up real nice and placing a cold ball bearing in it? I forsee an enormous amount of issues with getting this to work right, but it would be rather unique to say the least.

Caleb Ramsby

Caleb,

That is what I was working on doing with the one that ended up with the ball welded to the end. My thought was to split the stock four ways and place the ball in the middle. Closing the split pieces like fingers around the ball.

After that didn't work and in fact ended up breaking off and shooting across the shop.....well I just broke out the wire feed and welded the ball on.

I actually thought I had the start of a forge weld just before it went winging across the shop and hit the wall. I think I may have hit it a bit hard!

They averaged about an hour each to build so I am going to price them at $50 each.

Thanks for the comments. Going to get some more shop hours tomorrow along with the help of my one blacksmith uncle and my other very handy uncle. We will see what we come up with.

• 1 month later...

Outstanding....I really like the thru and thru drifted handle loop. I've got 4 requests for steak turners and am going to give it a try this afternoon! I'll probably get some kickback cause I'm in the middle of two other projects with due dates but isn't that what creativity is all about...THX