I Forge Iron

any one play around with balisongs??

akiva7777

I used to play around with my balisong until it broke. The screws at the hinge keep loosening and one of the scales on the handle fell off. I don't care enough to fix it so I dulled the blade and use it for practicing opening and closing. I know some basic moves, as well as a couple of neat throws (the dull blade helps). I only bother with it once in a long while because it is hidden under some stuff at the bottom of my display case.

• 1 year later...

any body here make,sell, play with butterfly knives out there?

yes, all of the above! I just started tho. My 1st one was made from a RR spike I cut in half long ways, a saw blade, and broken drill bits for rivets. The 2nd is made from a steel dumbell bar that I turned on my presicion lathe from 1" to 1/2", lawnmower blade, and broken drill bits for pins. Now I buy 1/2"-3/4" steel rods and put a 1 degree taper them, decorate them and I use lawnmower blades or tool steel for the blades and left over rod for pins. I'm 26 now ad I've been making knives of all kinds sence I was 9 or 10, yet I've never had a forge so I just grind away and use propane to temper them.

I used to play with two that had rather dull blades so I would not hurt myself. I had been playing on and off with the notion of trying my hand at making one, but hesitating because of the pivot points. The various knifes that I have tried had sloppy pivot points and have not figured out how to make the pivot points properly.

I used to play with two that had rather dull blades so I would not hurt myself. I had been playing on and off with the notion of trying my hand at making one, but hesitating because of the pivot points. The various knifes that I have tried had sloppy pivot points and have not figured out how to make the pivot points properly.

the pins are the easy part! it's the same as rivetting anything else, 1/16" to 1/8" brass or soft steel rod or cheap broken drill bits is what I use. Getting everything to line up is the fun part! You should try it, it's suprisingly easier than you'd think, and it normally turns out better than store bought one!

• 1 year later...

It's a shame that the balisong has become known as a weapon. In the UK they are on the banned list, so I'm not allowed to buy or make one. The reason I think its such a shame is that they are without a doubt the safest type of lock knife that there is. The only way it can close on your fingers is to let go of it!

Like in the U.K. the balisong is banned in Canada.  Considered to be a 'self-propelled' knife which puts it as a prohibited weapon under the Criminal code of Canada.  All the ones I ever saw before the ban was put into effect were very cheap street vendor type trash.

They went through a period of popularity in the 1980's because of their visual presence in various (usually low budget) action films including MAD MAX - BEYOND THE THUNDERDOME.  I recall seeing and reading several articles about balisongs in the knife magazines at that time; often the authors having first seen, then buying theirs in the Phillipines.  Some interesting features with the custom ones -  for example a 7&1/2 inch blade with 4 inch handles. normally carried in a sheath, the 3&1/2 inches of exposed blade functioned as a utility blade. When a longer blade was required, flip the handles to expose full blade length.

• 2 weeks later...