I Forge Iron

Of all the things I never tried..

I've been blacksmithing for over a decade and today I was struck with the thought that I'd never made my own tongs! So, with a little bit of time left until my self-imposed 9:30 cut off time, I grabbed a piece of 1/2 (1095 spring temper) stock and started pounding away. Wasn't too concerned with hammer marks, these wont be anything but shop tools. Then I realized that I haven't done rivets for tongs before either! So it was off to the drill press with a 1 1/2" block of steel to make a guide. Grabbed some medium carbon that was laying around, heated, cut, put in the block and mushroomed it out with a peen. Put everything together and mushroomed the other side. All in all about 45 to an hours worth of work. I have to say, they aren't pretty, but they're functional. Everyone who makes tongs on a regular basis, I'll take my hat off to you. I wont be going into the tool making business any time soon, but it's clear to me now just how much thought and care go into a great pair. It's always nice to challenge yourself with something outside of your sphere of comfort. :) I'll probably do some tweaking on the business end of these tomorrow, perhaps change the shape to work well with more shapes, but right now as they are they hold onto a blade quite nicely. Plus I like the slight spring in the grip. Anyway, here's some picks. Bellow it you can see my little #6 Fisher 1882 - great for when you don't want to wake the neighbors.

12682.attach

12683.attach

Thats cool nice tongs. I was using tongs i bought also but i need much more than 2 lol. My first pair took like 5 hours lol and the second took 4 hours but both are failed lol. Tomorrow will be 3 times lucky charm? But there is no such thing as luck.

Them's some fine looking pair you got there. I would not be surprised if you make more of your own tongs in the future. Tongs were my first project as I did not have any and I am NOT going to pay good money for something that I can make myself. Have fun and Happy Hammering.

yeah my first tong looked like..well you know, but now i have many pairs i have made myself + it takes less time to make them then to wait for them in the mail. i find that you get more usefulness from ones you make yourself because you know what your going to use them for

Nice I made my first pair when taking a blacksmithing class still have them and use them but not my favorite thing to do. You did a great job for your first pair, beter than I did and I had a teacher showing me what to do..... LOL

Very nice for a first set. especially along with the fact that they are designed for a speciifc purpose in mind. My first tongs were designed by a 10 or 11 yearld named Sean Conner. two 3/4 by 1/4 bars with a rivet hole drilled and the tong ends bolted together, and the working ends twisted 90 degrees. fool-proof design and very robust.

yours look way prettier. great job