I Forge Iron

Whoops I'm in Trouble

Bully

Got home from work tonight and thought because I've been hiiting the iron pretty hard over the last week (every night) and I have a demo day tomorrow at a historical day that Dale has invited me to, that tonight I would give my arm a rest. In stead what I thought was cause I feel to much air is being supplied to the fire when I shut the air gate off (vaccum cleaner no dimmer) I would rejig it with another air gate (vent) so away I went. Did that then thought better test it. So lit a fire with some charcoal I had. Burns well I thought, very controllable, yes have solved that problem,,,MMmmmm best put a bit of iron in the fire, only cause its going, just to be sure. Needless to say I made a nice fire rake that I had been wanting to do for a while. Thing is I was still wearing my good jeans prior to starting and because I was'nt really going to be hammering I did not put on my leather apron. Well cut a long story short nice job with the rake but better not let the missus see those jeans....Love this hobby.. And the knowledge/experienc(s) you all supply cheers stay safe.

About 2 years ago, I was over to Jays Big River Forge shop and we had a tour group come through. (Thanks for the warning Jay - all of 5 minutes!) This was a group of lady artists touring art studios. I did a quick leaf keyring demo for them. And then wiped that leaf off on my jeans. Yes, I saw THAT look in the eyes of several of them. I quickly pointed out that I knew what I was doing and I did my own laundry. I don't think some of them believed me.

It always seems that the dirtiest I ever get is when doing the simplest quickest little things. I wonder why that is?

Mikey - that grumpy ol' german blacksmith out in the Hinterlands

Been there done that.... I have to do my shop clothes with my uniforms for work... my shop clothes are carharts and tshitrts.. my work unis are black.. ironic no???

never to join with my wifes office clothes..

you have an apron?? and you said oh just 5 minutes with a the fire..... ahh the mistress has you now..... but your in goood company..

A waist to knees apron rests on the work table as a reminder to put it on before I use the table. I also have a denim apron for shop use, leather apron for forging. Cost of the apron was less than the cost of one pair of jeans. I have 2 pair of shop jeans that can not be worn to town to prove my point.

I find that putting some of welding flux in with my shop clothes along with laundry detergent tends to get them coming out looking like new again. Who knew that this Borax stuff had other uses?! As for the holes and such, I'm 32, I throw on a sports coat, nice boots and a pair of sunglasses and suddenly I'm a hipster! However instead of paying $100 for my "distressed" jeans, I pick em up at Old Navy on sale and "distress" them in my shop. My better half is a fashion design student and this quarter she has menswear so I'll be getting a new wardrobe soon - I've already put in an order for some extra tough reinforced khaki's for the shop, not sure if she'll let me wear them though!