I Forge Iron

Forging brass rod to steel

Good morning,

Is it possible to forge weld brass to steel? I apologize if this has been covered, I searched google high and low and didn't find anything that answered my question.

Basically what I was thinking of doing is wrapping 1/16 brass round rod around railroad spikes (or weaving the rod into steel cable) that had been heated to orange-red, fluxing with borax, then back into the fire until the brass was up to welding temp along with the railroad spike or cable. Was hoping to make an interesting brass/steel pattern welded billet.

Do you think this would work? Any suggestions?

Is it even safe to heat brass up to a welding temp?

I made my first cable "damascus" knife yesterday from found 1" non-galvanized steel and am hooked, as it came out pretty good for my 2nd knife ever, but looking for ways to put drastically different colors/pattern into cable or spikes. anther possibility I was thinking of is wrapping the cable with degreased chainsaw chains and tack welding in a spiral pattern, then mashing the cable or spike into a square, twisting multiple times and folding etc to make a billet.

Thank you in advance,

-Grant

edit: realize to some this may belong in bladesmithing however if this works well i would apply this process to other items, not just knives.

If you're just looking for a little bit of highlight color here and there, the method I use is simple. After completing your piece, heat it slightly - trial and error on a similar piece of metal will give you some help if you're worried about affecting the temper - then use a brass brush and rub the piece. The brass will transfer onto the heated metal, the more times you apply it the more color is transfered. Since brass melts around 1650F I wouldn't try the other method you were describing, it will release zinc oxide and no one wants a case of metal fume fever, however I have seen some pieces where other metals have been inlaid after the forging process.

Thanks for the replies...

I read somewhere that this one bladesmith who made cable damascus with nickel (nickel stick electrodes with the flux chipped off) intertwined around the larger groupings of strands (this was my influence).

If brass gives off bad fumes and liquifies before the steel reaches welding temps, would copper work using the process I described in the first post? I see that it melts at about 2000 F.

FOund this article but it does not disclose how they did it.
http://query.nytimes.com/mem/archive-free/pdf?_r=1&res=9402E0D6103DE433A25754C1A96E9C94649ED7CF

Are there any other raw materials that can be successfully and non-toxically welded to steel and where might they be found? I have seen the brass brushing of steel before but was going hoping to come up with a gold colored vein pattern within the steel.

Thanks again,

-Grant

try googling mokume gane, I cant remember seeing brass and steel welded but I read an article once where the smith had forged bronze and steel cable. I cant find the link anymore but I seem to remember that he opened the cable and put the bronze inside then heated the cable and kept twisting it as he hammered it to tighten it.

try googling mokume gane, I cant remember seeing brass and steel welded but I read an article once where the smith had forged bronze and steel cable. I cant find the link anymore but I seem to remember that he opened the cable and put the bronze inside then heated the cable and kept twisting it as he hammered it to tighten it.

I had never heard of this before but googling it gives some impressive results!! I HAVE TO TRY THIS!! I am in love with those colors and patterns. WoW!

Check this out..

The Mokume Gane Story

Talk to steve sells, he has made a pattern welded blade out of steel and brass or bronze. You'll learn tons from him!

Prolly not that functional in combat i'm guessing? I bet it makes up for in beauty what it lacks in strength?

Steve sells made that blade. And it's a pattern-welded blade as well.

MOD correction: I did NOT make that blade, tho I have made some on steel and bronze. As I clearly stated in the gallery posting. I posted the photo because of the many statements assuming that it can not be done. Facts, and Photos speak louder than opinions.

even tho I edited M-brothers post, I want to make this very clear,

That is NOT my blade.

I would give credit to its maker and if/when I find out I will add the proper credits to whom it is due. I thought is the best example so far of combining bronze and steel in a blade. I have no photos of my past bronze/steel works, so I used one I had of another, I was negligent in not saving this photo under the name of the maker, as I normally do for later reference.

• 9 years later...

There’s a technique called dambrascus, and it consists in heating the steel to a yellow color, then submerge it into a crucible with molten brass. The liquid brass enters through the pores of the steel and bonds with it... I read this in a book, but never tried... if you give it a shot, please make a review... cheers!

Holy Thread Necromancy Batman!

I believe about 20 years ago Ed Fowler was doing the DamBrasscus thing, along with claims of all sorts of added performance. It fizzled and the truth was there was issues with the small steel wires absorbing detrimental elements and other problems. 

Looks cool, but best left to fittings etc and not blades, especially near the cutting edge.

5 minutes ago, stevomiller said:

Holy Thread Necromancy Batman!

I believe about 20 years ago Ed Fowler was doing the DamBrasscus thing, along with claims of all sorts of added performance. It fizzled and the truth was there was issues with the small steel wires absorbing detrimental elements and other problems. 

Looks cool, but best left to fittings etc and not blades, especially near the cutting edge.

Yeah, That’s what I meant... it is only for aesthetics, since brass is not hard enough to retain an edge...  but it is beautiful to use as bolsters or guards...