I Forge Iron

Forged Bear Trap

Are you talking about the big scary one with teeth you see in cartoons? I have a small one somewhere sized for rabbits if it'll help I can measurements and pictures and you can scale it up. I have thought about making a few more but can't figure out a good spring temper yet so I have to wait a little longer :(

bad link removed

This winter while I was working in the blacksmith shop at a local Festival in Winnipeg,  I made a trap and took pictures at the end of each day.  

https://www.flickr.com/photos/cloverdaleforge/sets/72157651449217235/

Its not a bear trap size and doesn't have the spike/teeth, but it functionally its the same, and I learned a lot in the process.  Hope that helps.

Matt

I made on in high school 25 years ago. I think I just up scaled a #6 Victor trap. 

Get your hands on a smaller trap that you like the looks of and eye ball it up to what ever size you want would be my advice. If I could do it in a shop class at 15 it could not have been that hard:D.

This winter while I was working in the blacksmith shop at a local Festival in Winnipeg,  I made a trap and took pictures at the end of each day.  

https://www.flickr.com/photos/cloverdaleforge/sets/72157651449217235/

Its not a bear trap size and doesn't have the spike/teeth, but it functionally its the same, and I learned a lot in the process.  Hope that helps.

Matt

What is the book you show a picture of? I might like to find a copy of it to put in my reference section :)

Over the years, I've made several "decorative" Bear Traps, ... with untempered, mild steel springs.

They still function, ... but aren't so potentially dangerous.

I put small holes in the end of the "dog" and the corresponding "notch" in the underside of the "pan", ... so that they can be "safety wired" in the "set" position, ... for display purposes.

The "pan" hides the "safety wire", ... and nobody has ever noticed that it's there.  :P

M Cochran, the book is "Hooks, Rings, & Other Things An illustrated Index of New England Iron 1660-1860" by Frank T. Barnes

Many types of designs.  781 is correct about the threaded post versions and I would recommend that style for anything bigger than what I made...   it was a little tricky/nerve racking getting the spring installed (back bending the base)  while the spring was compressed.

The pan pivot was done with a tenon and slot for a wedge.  Worked great and made assembly and dis assembly easier.

Hope that helps. https://instagram.com/explore/tags/cloverdaletrap/

Matt