I Forge Iron

asking prices are getting out of hand

Guns: I think a reason we're getting multiple posts is hitting the refresh when we get the error message on posting. I've had two messages multiply on me but I'd gotten the configuration error message and refreshed which sent the post again.

Of course I could be wrong but I seem to have stopped multiplying my "error" posts by clicking on the white star at the page top.

Frosty The Lucky.

Occasionally I try to help the folks on ebay who think they are going to get rich selling an anvil. Sometimes it actually does help but more often

its like the guy who has an anvil on there now. He says it weighs 500 to 600 lbs and is 29" long. He has it at auction for $2100 and bargain priced "buy it now"at $3000. When I explained that the dimensions don't fit an anvil that heavy he sent me a note back saying he has only been wrong one time and its a good deal at that price.

Edited by Fatfudd
Correcting some info and typos

I didn't realize that E*** had posts from that far away, anyone only wrong once must be at the "Pearly Gates".  He is correct it is "good deal at that price", a Very Good Deal for him.  I've stopped looking at E*** & G****List, I X a couple local paper ones and word of mouth and have gotten what I've needed and more. 

Occasionally I try to help the folks on ebay who think they are going to get rich selling an anvil. Sometimes it actually does help but more often

its like the guy who has an anvil on there now. He says it weighs 500 to 600 lbs and is 29" long. He has it at auction for $2100 and bargain priced "buy it now"at $3000. When I explained that the dimensions don't fit an anvil that heavy he sent me a note back saying he has only been wrong one time and its a good deal at that price.

​I sent a message to that seller asking for better photos and side views.  No reply/action taken.  Checking all of the charts of anvils in AIA, shows for the dimensions listed the anvil should weigh in the 350 lb range.  But impossible to tell without better views/maker/more dimensions.

​I sent a message to that seller asking for better photos and side views.  No reply/action taken.  Checking all of the charts of anvils in AIA, shows for the dimensions listed the anvil should weigh in the 350 lb range.  But impossible to tell without better views/maker/more dimensions.

​This is an 1870's Fisher with the exact dimensions and shape that this seller posted.  It weighs between 350 and 400 lb.  Not 500-600 lb as the seller posted.  They have a very fat waist, so they are heavier than expected.IMG_20150225_154216548.thumb.jpg.7ef24ff

If the listing does not cost the seller anything the price is going to start way too high. If you actually had to pay for your add you would want it to sell in the first or second posting so you don't end up wasting money. If the add is free more than likely the seller is going to start way too high and gradually work down until the item sells. I have scene items on CL listed at the same price for several years.

I am guilty of this myself from time to time. If I'm not in a rush to sell something I will start out with it quite a bit higher than I would think is reasonable and work down. It has worked out good for me as I usually end up getting more then I original thought I would have. On the other hand it has been maddening seeing something I want to buy being priced out of contention and then having to watch for it to come down to a reasonable price. The thing that I really don't understand is having a used item priced at new retail prices. Like it or not it is the new normal and is here to stay.

You can find new items priced at greater than retail; ebay used to have a number of folks who would sell at higher than new price and then have the store ship it to the person who bought it so they never had it in the possession!

Been watching a welder on Craigslist that's more expensive than going down the store  and buying it new...

I realize it is just the ASKING price, but what I am frustrated with is the lack of knowledge on the seller's part. This Vulcan is at an antiques store, someone who should know better. You would think they would educate themselves before selling. I am doing my research now on a 1967_1/2 Datsun Roadster 1600 engine that I want to sell. 

Was looking on ebay last night  there is a saltfork craftsman swage block on there for $375. I contacted the seller and told them that it was not an antique and that it could be purchased today.....directly from the manufacture for $130 brand new. 

It looked like it was in good condition so I offered the $150 for it which is a little cheaper than i could have gotten it from SFC after you pay shipping.

I think i offended the lady...... She didnt want to talk to me.:huh:

Edited by lawman

When I was looking for an anvil I ran into LOTS of what the seller refered to as "antique anvils". Well I got curious about this and got ahold of several Real life Antique dealers. They are the kind of guys that do antiques for a living. Everyone of them told me the same thing, They  said that if an anvil was not at LEAST 200 years old it would not even be in the running for "antique" status.  I would tell most anyone who had money to spend on an anvil to skip the used market and buy a new one, At least a new one isn't beat all to crap and is most likely made of better steel anyway.

I've had a number of people selling stuff tell me "Why should I know anything about what I'm selling?"

My stock answer is "Truth in Advertising laws."   They are not amused.

I could never understand why if they did not know they would make false claims and then be upset if someone called them on it.

(There was one person selling something on the internet telling me they didn't have the means to research things...so I pointed out that if they could sell on the internet they could research on the internet...)

Me I stopped using ebay.

I feel sorry for the people who buy on the word of the seller, like the guy who paid $300 ,or $400 IIRC, for a 140# HB farrier anvil that was missing 80%+ of the top, and had a fork lift fork welded to the top. It was just welded around the edges, and it came up to just one side of the hardy hole, making that unusable. I was going to offer $100, and try to fix it enough to use as a loaner, but when I called back a few days later it had been sold. The guy was from Alaska, and was cleaning out the storage locker he had in Las Vegas.

Then other problem with this is that uneducated buyers of crappy anvils help to drive up the cost of all anvils.