I Forge Iron

old Anvil swage block i dug up from backyard

tonyspag

My guesses all speculation whatever it is a true rarity

Probably cast iron not forged.

Early 19th century to 18th century or older

Made in North America in one of the many iron furnaces as one off or small production.

thank you for info. would you no what it would of been used for?

Its an anvil swage block you could use it for just about anything involving hammering metal.   Its the sort of all in in one tool you would want if you were going to be away towns and ports and you would need to make most of your own stuff. 

thank you again. i'v done some research and can't find anything that looks like it.

Could you try once more for better pictures? Try taking them against a darker background with a flash, It sort of looks like a combination anvil swage block that I've seen once before.

ill try to get better ones. but in the mean time what do you think of age and where it would be from? thank you

What an amazing find! It's certainly neat that's for sure... Try and wire brush it and bring out more detail... Would those with a little more knowledge than I see a problem with a spark test???... Just to verify that it is, in fact, cast iron... I see what looks to be a casting blemish there, but you never know...

What an amazing find! It's certainly neat that's for sure... Try and wire brush it and bring out more detail... Would those with a little more knowledge than I see a problem with a spark test???... Just to verify that it is, in fact, cast iron... I see what looks to be a casting blemish there, but you never know...

it does spark lol when i was digging it out of the ground i hit it with the shovel and it sparked

Well, it looks to me like it's intentionally designed to be both an anvil and a swage block.  The one flat side opposite the 5th foot is perfect for an anvil face, and the depressions are easy to get to by rotating the whole block.  The flat on the "back" of the anvil would be a great place for the customer to add depressions as they needed them.

Overall, looks like a great general-purpose tool that any frontier smith would like to have.

Never seen one like it, but it certainly looks like something out of the 1800's.  Value?  Hard to say without any kind of history to go with it, but I will say that it's certainly rare enough to be worth something to a collector.  If you're keen to sell it, take some better pics and get in touch with Matchless Antiques on ebay.  They might give you a few shillings for it.

Well, it looks to me like it's intentionally designed to be both an anvil and a swage block.  The one flat side opposite the 5th foot is perfect for an anvil face, and the depressions are easy to get to by rotating the whole block.  The flat on the "back" of the anvil would be a great place for the customer to add depressions as they needed them.

Overall, looks like a great general-purpose tool that any frontier smith would like to have.

Never seen one like it, but it certainly looks like something out of the 1800's.  Value?  Hard to say without any kind of history to go with it, but I will say that it's certainly rare enough to be worth something to a collector.  If you're keen to sell it, take some better pics and get in touch with Matchless Antiques on ebay.  They might give you a few shillings for it.

thank you for the info.. just wondering if you or anyone would no of a good site to research it i'v looked and looked and cant find anything that even looks like it.