I Forge Iron

Flat bar tongs

Tubbe

Hi,

Sam Salvati's tongs really caught my eye the other day, especially the flat bar tongs. The design was totally new to me, but looked really handy. So... I decided to try and forge a pair. Started off with 1"x3/8" flat bar stock. The finished pair grabs 3/16" thick bar with a width from 1 3/16" to around 2". I added a slight offset to the reins to make them parallel. Lets hope this can encourage someone else to make a pair!

20120908_1_flatbar_tongs.jpg

20120908_2_flatbar_tongs.jpg

Well then eat faster Thomas :rolleyes:
Seriously the next edge grip flat bar tongs I make will probably be like that. They seem to be easier to pull off than the ones I have been making. And I make almost all my tongs out of sucker rod so the spring will make them even better than mild steel would. I have been making box joint tongs for fun lately and I may try to combine the two. Box jaw is not necessary but fun to pull off.

• 1 month later...

I seem to be wanting some tongs that will grip from the side... so that you can grip in front of a bend or knob or really even in the middle of a bar or rod. These look to me as though they could be adjusted to do that and couldn't they have half round jaws for gripping round stock? I have been considering Hofi's "woop woop" tongs for this kind of grip also.

• 2 weeks later...