I Forge Iron

Some work, old and new

These are some of my first pieces: a torc I made for a Christmas present, and a spoon I made just a few hours ago.

The torc I made in my own forge back home in Maryland. Unfortunately, you can see the spot where I burned it. That's what I get for thinking too much about how I want to finish it while it's still in the fire...
I constructed it by twisting two separate rods, then welding the two together with my oxy-acetylene torch. Then, I curled it over the horn of the anvil. The shape needed a bit more refining to get a truly smooth curve, but I was out of time, so...
It is finished with paraffin.

The spoon I whipped up after discovering the campus forge has open hours (for the first time in years!). It's basically just round rod spread extensively, and raised over a spoon stake. I found this to be difficult, as the edges would always work each other back to flat when pushed too far; I'll have to learn a bit more about proper technique, there. As a result, I had to do a lot of work on the grinder.
After I clean it up a bit, I'll probably season it like cast iron, so I can eat with it.

Please let me know what you think. Constructive criticism, in particular, would be welcomed.

11944.attach

11945.attach

11946.attach

11947.attach

11948.attach

Good work eryian! Campus forge?! Wow, be in there using it as much as you can, it's awesome that you have that opportunity because usually students don't have access to that on a college campus.
Make another 50 spoons just like that one, you will learn more with each and every one as you go. Lookin' good and good luck. Dan :)

2 1/2 hrs. a week is more than 99.9% available at other schools in the US. I'll bet if you use it for those 2 1/2 hrs. every week and maybe get some more folk in using it they may increase open time. Asking for more couldn't hurt either.

Like Dan says make more of each and before you know it you'll be getting requests for them.

Well done.

Frosty

That's a nice spoon but, if you feel you're haveing trouble forming them over a stake you will find pounding them down into a spoon depression is much easier.
When I make a spoon I use bar stock and make an egg shaped ball on the end then I go and draw out the handle.
I flaten out the "egg" to the thickness I'm looking for plus a little for finish grinding.
Your peice should look like a flattend spoon but with the sides a little wider.
Now I'll take a medium ball peen with a smooth radious ground on it and knock it down into a custom spoon form I made for the hardy. You will see that this leaves some dimples on the inside so I then take it to the inside rounding stake (just a polished RR spike) and planish it from the out side. Grind the outside smooth and a seasond oil finish (I use olive oil) as you suggested and call it done.
I was trying to do the whole thing over a stake but it was a misery, and someone very wise told me "why do you think swage blocks have spoon holes in them?"

Another cheap alternative to a spoon form is the end of a block of wood, preferably tight ringed hardwood. I've not made a spoon for a while but when you dish leaves, you don't even need to cut a depression, the metal burns into the wood. Just be sure the smoke won't cause any issues because it will smoke. Also, avoid treated lumber.

looks good for a first one!! its tough to get the width you need for a spoon at first.. if you practice with a cross pien you can get the sides wider .. and it is much easyer to forge into a depression than over stake ..if you dont have a swage block handy you can make a depression by useing a ball pien as a set tool.. get a chunk of steel (say 1/2 x 1 1/2 stock) heat to bright yellow .. set ball end where you want depression and hit face of ballpien with another hammer(all this is while piece is on anvil) you can make a nice depression and even taper it like a spoon.. cut off stock but leave it long enuf to forge one end to fit hearty hole .. bend it over so depression is face up and it sits flat on anvil wola! you have a spoon hearty tool! you can clean it up and round any sharp corners with a die grinder .. have fun!