I Forge Iron

Rasp Spurs

tophand

Tophand, beautiful work!! do you grind or fair down the file teeth inside or outside? the pics are great, but I am having a hard time telling.

Also love the simplicity of your design, I was looking at them saying how the hell did he do it!!

• 1 year later...

I've only just found this page but have been building this styly of rasp spurs for years. Jim Poor made a video/DVD that describes the process and is quite detailed. I like the idea of th eskill saw. I've been using a hot cutter, this will definately speed up the process. I haven't read all of the postss but the only weld I do is with a wire feed at the heel of the band to fill in and strengthen the spur for more art work on the shank. This is a great thread.

• 2 months later...

Tophand, thanks for the suggestions. So, how much are you able to charge for your spurs? I have made a few pair for friends, using evenly worn used horseshoes, but basically gave them away. Would like to get the quality up to where they would be really saleable. I am sure the rasp spurs would have a lot of appeal. Won't have time to work on any blacksmithing for a week or 2, but will check in, all spur-making ideas/info appreciated. I am no hand with a computer so am slow at this but will get it figured out. Adios.

Looks like there is a lot of interest in spurs! I like the idea of the Skilsaw cutter,wonder if someone can tell me what type of cutting wheel/disc I would use and where to purchase to use on a Skilsaw...also the most efficient way to grind down the rasp teeth. Anyone with lots of ambition should try forging a rasp to width, you wind up with a really cool snakeskin look. Would be a lot easier with a power hammer. Also, where do I find the Jim Poor video on spurs, and how do I look up the spur-button supplier in Colorado? All tips much appreciated!

A good beltgrinder will do a multitude of tasks: taking down the rasp teeth, clean up of cut edges, shaping, etc.

However even the cheap "decent" versions will run several bills and a new top of the line 2"x72" can cost a pretty penny.

(2"x72" is an industry standard so lots of belts, accessories, contact wheels, etc are made in that size...)

i like them but i have 1 suggestion, from my dad (25yr horse trainer) you may wand to smothe the inside or they will eat the boots

I agree, when I fold them and open the bands perpendicular to the shank, I run a bead with a wire feed to fill the seam then grind the whole thing smoothe or at least so it will not damage the heels of boots. I also stamp it with my mark. Cheers

I agree, when I fold them and open the bands perpendicular to the shank, I run a bead with a wire feed to fill the seam then grind the whole thing smoothe or at least so it will not damage the heels of boots. I also stamp it with my mark. Cheers

just a thought but instead of running a weld bead and then grinding. why not just grind/sand that side of the rasp first before you do any cutting or forging. i think it would be easier to do it when it is flat then after you round and size it. just my thought.

just a thought but instead of running a weld bead and then grinding. why not just grind/sand that side of the rasp first before you do any cutting or forging. i think it would be easier to do it when it is flat then after you round and size it. just my thought.

I do it prior to shaping the bands. The bands at this point are flat, perpendicular to the shank. I also do all of my drilling for buttons at this point as well and any other forging on the bands I may want (hole punched and drifted or whatever).

• 8 months later...
  • 7 years later...

Welcome aboard Roger, glad to have you. If you'll put your general location in the header you'll discover how many members live within visiting distance.

My spurs were chromed though stainless were becoming more common. Get them as polished as you like before sending them to the chrome shop, they'll polish between going into the vats but it always comes out nicer if the piece is well finished first.

If you want to plate them yourself you'll need to do some serious reading, it's not a trivial undertaking handling metal laden acids and includes hazmat disposal. The order of plating is: Copper, nickle, chrome. Polish and thoroughly degrease between plates.

Post pictures please, we LOVE pics and aren't so likely to believe something we can't see. ;)

Frosty The Lucky.