I Forge Iron

Newbie Needs Help Sorting All This

Hello all,
I have been making knives for about 15 years using the stock removal method. Forging has always fascinated me and due to setting up a new shop I now have the room. I'm looking for any advice. Also every book I've looked in and read shows a small brake drum forge and a railroad track anvil, is this what I need to start with. I was thinking of building a gas forge, but after reading through this forum I'm not sure which direction to go.

Thanks,
Troy

For a toe in the water on small blades have a look at Charcoal Forge and while you are there a general look around is really worthwhile.

As for the anvil, a length of railroad iron serves the purpose very well. We often get too into the gadgets in our hobbies. Later, if you continue forging a "real" anvil is worth it.

Good luck.

Before you build anything, I suggest you find the closest blacksmith guild and go to a couple of their meetings. Take one of your knives as a show-and-tell item and talk about what you would like to learn to do. I suspect you may get some hands-on experience with one or more types of forges. Then decide what your next step is....

Good Luck....

First, welcome to IFI, Troy!
One way to look at the problem would be to figure out what fuel is available to you.
Coal, natural charcoal(not briquets), and gas are all good fuels and can be used for bladesmithing.

Gas is convienient: Light it and go.....and the neighbors don't complain about the smoke.
But, it can be costly.

If you can find good coal locally, it makes a good economical fuel for forging.

If you have access to plenty of scrap wood and can cook it in a barrel in the back yard, you can make your own charcoal to use.

You can make solid fuel forges from lots of stuff besides brake drums......my main forge for 35 years was an old 20 in. truck rim with a little fire pot under it. There are plenty of ways to make coal/charcoal forges from ' found stuff;

My 2 cents worth.......

Every book?

... every book I've looked in and read shows a small brake drum forge and a railroad track anvil, is this what I need to start with. I was thinking of building a gas forge, but after reading through this forum I'm not sure which direction to go. Troy

On one hand it is true that a brake drum and a piece of rail would work. In a similar vein, a teenager could try skateboarding by by attaching old metal rusty skate wheels to a bundle of sticks tied together. *However* if that teen's first experience with skateboarding was with a nice skateboard, he/she would more likely continue in the sport. Rusty wheels on a bundle of sticks would likely discourage all but the most determined of teens.

The same is with blacksmithing. Find a local blacksmithing club and try their equipment before deciding what equipment to acquire. The better the equipment you have, and the better the instruction you have, the better experience you are likely to have, and the better informed decisions you can make on what equipment to acquire. That is my advice.

KENTUCKY BLACKSMITHS' ASSOCIATION
Pres: Andy Bennet, Jr.
PO Box 366
Brandenburg, KY 40108
(270) 422-3107
qmnforge127@msn.com
Ed: Larry Zoeller
4312 Lahnna Dr.
Louisville, KY 40216
(502) 361-0706
zman59@earthlink.net
The Kentucky Blacksmith Association : ABANA (Artist Blacksmith Association of North America) affiliate. Edited by UnicornForge

Not trying to sound too stupid here but, I have a rather large vice that has a decent sized flat spot on the back of it. Would it be o.k. to use that for an anvil?

I wouldn't do it if I were you. It will break. I know because I broke one just like that....then I had to weld it back together. :( I was fortunate that I had the knowledge and the equipment to fix it. Many lack one or both of those unfortunately,....find something else to beat on. Edited by SK-Buckwheat
Because I missed a point.