I Forge Iron

Refractory Help

grimcat27

I am having a lot of trouble trying to make a cast-ablemold-able refractory. I am on a tight budget and don't have much for natural resources here in central Florida. If someone can give me some ideas for formulas I can use with either cheaply bought, savaged, found or harvested component.

Check this page out. Doesn't get much cheaper than adobe recipe.
http://64.176.180.203/washtubforge.htm

Quick and simple is 1 part fireclay, 1 part sand and 5-10% water.

Some people use Perlite and fireplace cement like rutland, both at Ace hardware, but is a bit spendy for the cement.

Edited by petersenj20
Added link

What kind of forge are you building?

If it's a solid fuel forge, charcoal or coal almost anything will do, even kitty litter or compacted wood ashes.

If on the other hand you're talking a propane forge most home made refractories won't hold up at all well. I know I spent a couple hundred $ trying to make my own when I could and later did buy a super duty rammable refractory for just a bit more than a bag of fire clay. Shipping might be the deal breaker though, I know it counts heavily in my case.

Frosty

If you want to do it as cheap as pos. then your gonna have to find what you can locally, cause no matter how cheap of a product you buy the shipping will get you. If you can, find a pottrey/ceramic supply, they will sell some commercial refractory's but if they are still too much for you then get a hight temp clay, I prefer to use EP Kaolin, which comes from FL so it should be even cheaper for you. Get some fine grog or if you want to stay even cheaper then you can go with silica sand which they will alos sell there, you can go about 50/50 clay/grog or sand and as little water as pos, just enough to make the clay bond nicely, which you will be able to tell as you mix, the more water you use the longer and slower it will take to dry and fire it.
You should be able to find EPK for $7-$10 a 50lb bag and it can withstand 3000F no problem.

These guy's are in FL, I don't know where in relation to you though,

Raw Materials: Ball Clays at Axner.com

welder19

• 2 weeks later...

as for refrac I use the cheapest all clay kitty litter with a little portland cement it gives it a little more plasticity avoid perfume or the green scent crystals they may contain metal impurities that may oxidize and get caught up in your work ,and I second that on the cure of the clay if you can't heat it a little 'give some quality time with a dehumidifier in a closet

• 2 weeks later...

Up date I can (for now) only find pearlite, sand (backyard),silica sand (kitty litter),red clay(brick, clay pipe), ash, silica furnace cement, cement(Hydrophilic and portlend). Thats all I can find or make. I made a patch for my old way to small forge with 2 parts clay 1 part silica sand 1 part ash 12 part Hydrophilic cement. Wateing for it to cure hope its more durable then just the silica cement that I burnt thrue.

You don't really have to use any refractory for that type of forge, my first solid fuel forge I made was a truck wheel with the holes welded up and the air coming up through the center with a plate with holes drilled in it to keep the fuel from falling down in the tyuere. The fire pot I use now is made out of 1/2" plate and doesn't have any refractory either.

welder19

• 1 month later...