I Forge Iron

forced to woodwork

Well, actually 4 saws, 2 Stihls, 1 Mac and 1 Sears electric. When I met Deb online she owned and lived on a 40 acre hobby farm in the UP of Mi. One thing led to another and after we'd been married and she'd returned home to sell off the farm we had many discussions about what she should keep and what to unload. At the time I had the 2 saws but she had 5 and wouldn't part with the Sears electric. She hasn't plugged it in since we got it here but it's still available.

One of her aunts was convinced I was an axe murderer of some sort. One evening Deb, her Mother, my folks and I had a long distance conference call as a group get to know ya thing. When I was introduced to her aunt Miriam the first thing I said was, "I hear you think I'm an axe murderer but I only have 3 axes and your darling niece has six. I'm a little afraid can you vouch for her?" aunt Miriam and I are great buds now.

All I can say Jr. is that isn't how I'd rip a plank! Maybe the vibration from the chainsaw would be thrilling but . . . :o

Frosty

Most of my skill is with wood and Ide have to say im a husky man myself.
I love working with wood, but hope to get my metal working up to par with it.
Mixing the two is the best of both worlds.
And nothing but good comes from it.

I too want to see a keyhole cut with a chainsaw..
Then teach me how to do it:D

It's all in how you look at it, I love working with metal but sometimes wood is necessary. It's all about the end result, creating something with your own hands and being able to sit at the end of the day and admire the results of your work and what you were able to create from raw materials.
Well that's the way I look at it and for me it makes it a little easier.
That being said I really hate sawdust and can't stand covering the shop with it, some day maby I'll be able to have a dedicated wood shop, which would having to do it much less dreadful.

welder19

I have heard of wood and seen the stuff but I try to avoid it as much as possible. If you cut an piece of steel a quarter inch too short, you can stretch it, that don't seem to work with a 2 X 4 however. :)

Didn't you ever hear of a board stretcher? Sent a new guy out to the truck one day after one, he came in about ten minutes later asking what it looked like. Sorry to say but it was my son but he was about ten.

yes, Audragon, as well as the saws and quite a few of my hand tools. Hand Tool WWing has been my hobby for some time. Having a fully equiped Blacksmith, Welding and Machine shop and Metal Working Skills, makes it much easier when blending them together to make WWing tools. In my Grandfathers day, the Majority of farm implements were of wood with Iron reenforcement and Iron cutting edges, so wood working was a required skill for Blacksmiths then.

I like a little primitive woodworking along with my metalworking. Kinda goes hand in hand. I have a shaving horse and drawing knives I use to shape handles and other things.

Believe it or not, using a froe can be fun........once you catch on to how it works and can make the split run the way you want it to go in green wood.

Of course, I like my chainsaws too. I made nearly all the cuts in building my new shed/shop with mine.

I like to use hickory, oak and mesquite to heat treat dead animal parts, that is briskets, hams, chickens, pork chops.

Sausage especially, but be careful, this stuff can get really brittle if you're increasing your aluminum can stock pile.

Burgers swell up an get really fat if not prepared correctly and really dry if H/T'd too long.

The longer you heat treat these items, the darker the color, you pick what you like best.

But for dimension lumber 2x's and what not, got to have them if for nothing else to make short pieces out of long pieces. I have a lot of practice and lots of short pieces stockpiled.

Enough of my rambling.

George

• 2 weeks later...

I'll take wood working to stone masonry any day. My favorite tools.... 32 oz waffle framing hammer and a good sawzall. With those I can rule the world. MWA HAHAHAHA!

And did you know that with a 3 lb cross pein you can drive in those pesky 3 in wood screws??