I Forge Iron

Anvil repair advice

Ohhh the velcro ... sounds good ! I could cut up some other anvils and velcro the parts together to mix and match. But I alslo like the cone idea :)

It should be in decent shape it was new. It was cheaper to cut up a small anvil then to have a pattern made, cast, machined, and heat treated.

It was also instructive to see how nice the grain structure was in the heel, which took some serious blows with a ten lb sledge to snap off even after cutting 2/3 of the way through with a zip disk. So I can rest easy knowing that my 600 lb anvil will never break.

brad

Out of curiosity, why not leave the anvil as it was and use it for forging blades? Was it purely a desire to have an anvil with a certain look or is there a functional reason to go with that design?

Take a look at the website for Henry Taylor carving tools. They show several images of their cutlers anvil in use. Their cutlers anvil has a dove tail cut in the face so that special tooling could be wedge there for making bolsters and other shapes for specialized carving tools. I am pretty sure this anvil does have a short horn. Welcome to Henry Taylor Tools Limited

Patrick