I Forge Iron

Courtyard gate

The panels are 1/8 steel plate that were etched via electrolosis. The vines on the plated were painted on with oil based paint which resists the etch. After the 48 hour etch the paint is scraped off and teh whole panel is cleaned with a wire cup brush on an angle grinder. The main vines are 3/4in solid bar textured with simple flat dies with weld beads on my power hammer. The leaves and stems are from 38/ round. The design is similar on both sides. The portal hinges (as are the gate hinges) are barrel hinges on the inner side of the gate. The gate is sealed with Permalac. The vine in the arch above the gate is attached to the smaller panel so it stays in place when the main gate is opened.

This is the drawing I presented to the client - along with vine and etched steel samples. I explain to clients that monkeys draw better than me. Once I got started I decided to add the etched vines to the steel panels - which gives the gate lots of depth. One other big change was the vines above the gates. Originally they were to be attached to both halves of the gate. One I had the gate mostly built and laid on the shop floor I decided it would look better if the upper vines were attached only to the small half of the gate. When the big (primary gate) is opened the vines stay in place. When both halves are opened the archway is clear. You'll also notice the layout of the primary vines changes quite a bit. Each section of the gate between the major vines needed to fit into my 250gal etch tank (see photo).

10597.attach

10598.attach

Very Cool Paul

If it is not being to greedy, could we see the inside of the gate with the hinges and the gate/gates open. Also, if this is stepping across the line someone will certainly slap me! How many hours?

-tks grant

Hey Grant - I don't have that picture. Each gate has two barrel hinges that are welded to a full length of 2x2 1/4 wall square tubing. What exactly are you wanting to see/know and I'll try to get it? I put about 60 hours into the gate.

Thanks Paul - It is obviously a precision fit. I am interested to see if you designed any tweekibality into the hing systems, perhaps the earth does not move in Arizona. The details on the portal, it took several back and fourths to pick it out. Then how you integrated the mechanics, (hinges, portal, and latch) into the leafs, steams, branches, trunk, and plate.

-tks grant

Each half of the gate is mounted with two hinges. These hinges are attached to 2x2x1/4wall square tube. The Square tube is attached to the wall with 3/8 threaded bolts that are welded to 3/8 lag bolts - these lag bolts go thru the faux stone into the house framing. By adjusting the nuts on these bolts I can tilt the gates from side to side. There is no adjustment from front to back. Unless the house moves the gates should stay lined up.

Kate - no issues with warping. The plate is "sandwiched" between two 3/4 solid vines making the structure very rigid. Permalac is a great lacquer that I get at Industrial Metal Supply. It is a Ron Young/Scuplt Nouveau product (800-728-5787). They also sell solvent dyes that can be added to the lacquer to give it a tint. Unlike paint it allows the variances of the metal surfcae to show thru. Attached is a pic of an ocotillo branch on another gate I did. After a rain ocotillos get small green leaves with a red/orange flower on top.

10609.attach