I Forge Iron

Coneflower Sculpture

kate

Thanks for the kind words. I had the piece blasted then painted at an autobody shop. The colors turned out great but there have been a few rust issues in the crevices. I was 8 mos pregnant when we installed so, yes, Kate is a girl's name. :)

That is WICKED COOL Kate!

Love the movement and grace of the flowers, especially the way they're leaning into the wind.

If you can I'd like to see a pic of the glass in the butterfly wings and maybe a little tutorial on how you put them together.

Frosty

Kate, I really like it. Nice design.

I need to try incoporating some glass in my work. That's an inspiration. I'm with Frosty on the glass request.

How tall is this gate?

PS: I suspected all along you were a girl.

Edited by Pat Roy

Here are some detail shots of the butterfly wings. Most of the glass is busted up slab glass (dalles de verres) from Blenko. It's cast in 8" x 12" x 1" slabs. You can get clean shapes with a wet saw but I enjoy the random so I just took a hammer to the sheets. The round pieces are x-tra large marbles. I epoxied the glass into the steel frame using PC-7. The sculpture is about 12' tall by 12' wide.

10584.attach

10585.attach

I like the random shapes too. What can one expect to pay for a sheet of Dalles de Verres? What kind of colors are available? If I weren't so lazy I'd ask for a link and browse the site myself. ;)

Thanks, outstanding sculpture.

Frosty

Here's the link to Blenko: Blenko Glass Company
They have a fabulous color selection and the dalles are around 12$ a piece. The shipping can get expensive because they weigh about 8lbs each. Blenko can also cut them to size and they do custom castings.
I think the marbles came from Mega Marbles.

I love incorporating glass with the steel, it adds such a nice delicacy.

Hi kate, that is a fantastic archway sculpture, really love the flowers the colours, the flow of the stems and the butterflies are great. The clients and the school must be thrilled with the finish. Well done, would love to see some more pictures of your work.

• 4 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...