I Forge Iron

rr spike knife

Sabre

A fine shiney finish on a carbon steel blade helps as it does not have the little scratches that rust starts in. Another option is to rust it to begin wiht. Birchwood casey makes a browning product to use as a finish on guns. It is a rusting process and with several coats gives and deep brown finish like on old muzzle loading guns. Follow the directions. And of the waxes above will help by I always worry about the future owner calling me after they have neglected the care necessary and wanting me to refinish the piece. If they drive a rusty car, if their house needs paint if they dress as poorly as I do dont expect they are gonna wax or oil a knife.

Be careful, boiled linseed oil is toxic.

What's your grandmother want to use it for? They make dandy letter openers and as such a good application of paste furniture polish works nicely and is easy to redo. Look for the stuff with Carnuba and Wantan (IIRC) they dry very hard and durable. You might have to look for this quality wax at a high end wood working or furniture supplier.

Frosty

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...
Be careful, boiled linseed oil is toxic.

What's your grandmother want to use it for? They make dandy letter openers and as such a good application of paste furniture polish works nicely and is easy to redo. Look for the stuff with Carnuba and Wantan (IIRC) they dry very hard and durable. You might have to look for this quality wax at a high end wood working or furniture supplier.

Frosty

I use boiled linseed oil sometimes to finish things that won't be used around food - or kept outdoors. Interior wall hooks and such. I heat the finished item to blue-ish with a propane weed burner and apply the oil with a damp cloth. I like the look of the finish but I don't want to poison anybody. How is it toxic? Through skin contact? Fumes? All of the above?
Thanks

Don't eat it. I think it's the additives used when they do the process, there's more than just boiling involved.

Be extremely careful what you do with any rags with linseed oil or any oil on them. Linseed oil especially is known for spontaneous combustion, even after up to 50 machine wash cycles.

I saw a series of specials on the morning news some years ago and their conclusion was the only safe way to dispose of linseed oiled rags was burning. One test they did was to place the rags in a sealed can filled with water after a couple dozen machine washes with degreaser detergents. One year later they poked a small hole in the can to let the water drain and a couple weeks later the outside of the can was discolored from the smoldering rag. (at least that's how I recall the test being described. I'm probably off on particulars but in general think I'm pretty accurate)

Frosty

Thanks Frosty! I generally avoid drinking it:p Between a stint in art school and having a grandfather who was an old-school sign painter though, I know how to handle oily rags. They all go straight to the burn barrel at the end of a session. Still, I'll limit using it to pieces that aren't going to be in contact with skin very often. Better safe than sorry.

That test you mentioned was scary. I knew they were volitale, but wow...

• 5 weeks later...

I'm new to making knives, but not new to preserving steel. I am a blackpowder (highly corrosive) shooter and have learned a few tricks over time. With my guns, after cleaning them with soap and water, I place the parts in the oven on low heat (about 200 degrees). When they are warm I drop them in a bowl of olive oil (any vegetable oil will work well.) The porous, heated metal soaks in the oil, much like when you season a cast iron skillet. Allow the oil to soak in for 10 - 15 minutes and then wipe dry. Works great and its easy to apply a fresh coat cold every month or so just to maintain the finish.

Easy to use, truely nontoxic (unlike all furniture waxes and polishes) and readily available.

All the best!:D

• 1 month later...

I use USP mineral oil from the pharmacy. Its food grade, non toxic, and doesn't get gummy like some vegetable oils can. Cheap too!!

Whats the difference between linseed oil and flax seed oil???

Whats the difference between linseed oil and flax seed oil???

The way its processed. Linseed oil also comes in two forms: Raw and Boiled.

Raw takes a long time to set up (polymerize) while boiled is half way there.

All three are nasty and not good to eat. Don't use flaxseed oil on any food grade item because it gets racid and tastes terrible.

With all due respect to long held beliefs, steel is not porous. The only place anything can penetrate is at the grain boundaries and if you do that, the steel will fall apart. Hot shortness is sulfur at the grain boundaries and that is one reason Manganese is added to steel: it combines with the sulfur to prevent it from getting to the grain boundaries. Any oil treatments are limited to the surface unless you manage to totally burn the oil and some of the carbon penetrates the crystal lattice a couple of thousandths of an inch. And that is not likely. Cast iron, on the other hand, has a lot of graphite flakes or nodules throughout the iron matrix. Graphite may be slightly porous and absorb a small amount of oil. However, most of the conditioning for cast iron is still a surface treatment. If it were penetrating the surface, why would you need to ever re-condition it?

The way its processed. Linseed oil also comes in two forms: Raw and Boiled.

Raw takes a long time to set up (polymerize) while boiled is half way there.

All three are nasty and not good to eat. Don't use flaxseed oil on any food grade item because it gets racid and tastes terrible.

Actually, unboiled flax seed is generally considered relatively safe. Not for human consumption due to other sterility issues and such but, at least up in Canada, it has been labeled for animal use. It's the boiled stuff that's bad. MAKE SURE IT IS UNBOILED THOUGH!!!!!!

Anything you use for anything, read the labels and look for the precautions and first aid info at least. Even if it is food safe when set, it may not be while setting. Remember, you're responsible for your safety and the safety of the people using it in a reasonable manner.