I Forge Iron

rr spike knife

Sabre

Be careful, boiled linseed oil is toxic.
Frosty

Really? OMG that scares me now. Back in 8th grade in art class we had to carve something in wood, then coat it with linseed oil. The teacher never said anything was wrong with it, so I got the stuff all over my hands. Then again, this guy had us melting lead for casting without breathing protection too. Is the oil toxic through the skin?

I use all varieties of oil linseed oil with my bare hands. It is not toxic in that way but does need to be cleaned from your hand when done.
As a thin film that "dries" (actully cross links like a plastic) on wood or metal it is not a problem.

A limited exposure to many of these materials, even hot lead, is not going to be permantely damaging. However, it is chronic or cumulative exposure that I and many others are concerned about.

One thing you should be aware of is that peanut oil should not be used on anything food use because of the potential that some child will be allergic to peanuts.

Don't freak out, it's not going to get you if you get a little on you now and then. Don't drink the stuff though.

Whatever you do dispose of rags with ANY on them by burning safely. There is a serious spontaneous combustion hazard related to linseed oil in particular. It can happen with any organic (I think) oil but linseed oil is famous for burning things down sometime when you're not watching.

Frosty