I Forge Iron

Blacksmithing and the Economy

Hey guys,
The world economy seems pretty bad right now. I was considering going more full time into ironwork this summer, but the headlines, and current economic situation are making me think otherwise. Maybe things will have cleared up by summer, probably not. So, full or part time blacksmiths: How are you guys doing? Business is slow? Usual? Good? Any change in demand? Those kinda questions. I just want to know what economic climate I'd be jumping into.

be merry,
dress warm,
Archie

I lost track of the number of local smiths either selling some of their stuff and downsizing, as well as those getting out of the business. I guess I should have been paying more attention. The cost of iron, fuel and other consumables around here went increased in cost beyond belief.

Example:
Around year 2000 a 15 foot length of 1/2" by 3" bent into a ring (iron tire), welded and fully finished was about $20.
May 2008 a 20 foot flat length of that steel cost about $60.
Nov 7, 2008 the cost of a 20 foot length of that steel cost $100

Real drop off for me - probably about 70 percent over the last six months.
I'm ok as everything I have is paid off and have very minimal debt but it's hitting a lot of folks real hard. I've recently started working part time with an artist in his studio (bronze sculpture) to make ends meet without hitting the reserves.

Lots of full-timers are calling it quits in these parts too - I've gotten a number of blacksmith auction emails over the last couple months.

It's tough right now - if you've got a steady day-gig, stick with it and let smithing be a sideline - it'll be difficult to drum up enough start up business to make a go of it.

This has been a particular concern of mine since I m trying earnestly to begin a 'professional' Smithy. Incidentally, in a series of thoughts and conversations around the forum, I've begun to rethink my idea to incorporate welding and/or machining services as a part of it to provide a service diversity cushion of sorts.

A piece of 6" pipe cut 10" long cost me $26 last week (the biggest welding/machine shop in town, and frankly, a bunch of shysters) . That is a scandal, but was my only option at the time.

I've also noticed someone trying to peddle their iron on Ebay recently. The stuff is executed well, and to me, is dirt cheap, but NONE of it has any bids, so unless people are "buy it now"ing, I don't think he's finding it profitable (which is unfortunate, because I had hoped to make a stipend out of the same concept).

I've found a few vendors interested in my products (initially), but things have been dang quiet recently.

I believe my next step is welding certification, as discussed on another thread.....

Even though the prices of scrap are lower now....the steel suppliers have stock from when everything was so high...hence the higher cost of steel still. They need to keep the prices high to cover the costs they had to pay then...

...or so I would assume...I am guessing that is why. I have not talked to any suppliers about it.

Peyton

Gents,

In Maine it has humorously been said that when the rest of the country is in a recession no one here notices. They are noticing now. Housing starts are nonexistant, for sale signs everywhere and lots of mill closings, lay offs etc. The union iron workers have all had to boom out to other states. The marine industry, where I work, is way off and many ships have laid up. All the iron work I have done this year has gone to out of state buyers. It looks like its going to be a long winter.
Peter

A lot of my market is the pre-Christmas shows they have been down for me this fall so far, I've been wondering if I should be modifying my products or if it is just the economy, maybe both.
I think it would be a hard time to start full time, if you have back up income it might be really good to have some inventory stocked up when this is over as many will not be able to stockpile in a slow economy. From what has been said here some of the competition won't even be around. Having multiple skills should really help to stay employed in hard times.

A practically-minded person with blacksmithing tools and skills (amongst others) would be very sought-after in an economic depression. To borrow from a recent thread when Bob from three doors down the road has a part on his mower break, offer him to swap you making a replacement for a couple dozen eggs from the chickens he keeps out back. When Ethel from the next street needs a fire grate because she can't afford heating oil any more, make her one in exchange for her making you a new shirt. Jack wants a special tool for harvesting the cabbages on his allotment, sure you can make him one in exchange for a few of those cabbages. Smithing and its related skill-sets are practical, valuable ways and I don't think they will ever be useless. If it comes to having to re-use found scrap, so be it -- this is as old as blacksmithing itself and there is more good quality steel out there today than there was at any point in history.

I am sad to hear that, I was kinda hoping high value artisanal hardware and items would not be affected.
My price for steel had doubled... coal up 30%.. I do this mostly for fun but want it to support itself, but increasing materials cost make this harder

I am sad to hear that, I was kinda hoping high value artisanal hardware and items would not be affected.

Unfortunately CB, those items and types of purchases are some of the first to be effected. High end artisan work work is typically paid for with discretionary/disposable income and that's in very short supply right now with folks scrambling to hang onto their homes. I specialize in high-end accessories for the home and have an established clientele - How quickly the work has evaporated has been amazing.

The circumstance I describe is anecdotal and there's always people who can still afford to buy, but they occupy a very narrow margin of the consumers.

I'm very fortunate that I live in an area that has tons of disposable income so I'm busier that ever. I lucked out 12 years ago when we bought a two room shack (we remodeled and doubled it in size) on 10 acres in an area populated with million dollar homes.

It's still a couple of years off but I have my foot in the door of 5+ star resort that is being built nearby where rooms will go for 1k/night. Will be a good ride if it works out.

One of our local steel mills is shutting down, possibly forever.....
2 large clothing stores are 'closed'....
A commercial sawmill and the accompanying property(200 acres), are to be auctioned off this saturday.

The news from here is not good, economically speaking.

Folks who don't have money won't be buying much.

I don't think anyone around here knows what things are going to look like in the near future.

The 'fall-out' of these economic problems is just now hitting here

I hope something turns the economy around!

Thankfully blacksmithing is still a sideline work for me. I wrote up one proposal this summer for a set of end tables. Real simple design (4) 3/4" square legs with (4) 1/2" square spanners. Lightly textured. They were supplying the (handcrafted in Mexico) hammered copper tops, so this was literally JUST the legs. Customer turned the project down based on a materials quote without even seeing my labor quote :o And these customers were by no means not in a position to throw a little money around. Seems like everyone in central Illinois is buckling down, even those who really have no need to. Can't say I blame them.