I Forge Iron

welding career question

I don't know how many folk here are professional welders, but I was wondering how important it is to go to school for welding? Right now I'm 27 years old and don't really have the money or time to be going back to school. I've been practicing stick pretty much every day now for more than a month and am getting fairly good at it. I don't think that I am even close to being capable of making a career out of it yet, but I was wondering if I could just learn it on my own and eventually find employment or go for the different certifications?

The amount it would cost to go to school for welding seems like it would be money better spent on welding equipment. But, I don't know the expectations or requirements in the industry, so any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks.

Depends on what you want a job or a career. If all you want is a paycheck job with a little welding thrown in just go get it.

If on the other hand you want a career as a weldor you need the schooling to get the certs that insurance companies and reputable employers require for real welding work. don't get me wrong, you need to be able to weld too, I've known too many guys with certs that were mediocre weldors at best, I could outweld them in virtually any application, position or material. They could get the jobs I couldn't though.

Good thing I stopped wanting to be a professional weldor taking my first class to certify. The instructor was quite proud of having been a pro weldor for 13 years, had an "I love me wall" full of framed certs of all kinds. He could hardly see for the cataracts, had scars on his neck and wrists from having the cancers removed and a nonstop tremble from the heavy metals. Welding has gotten a lot healthier since then IF you USE your safety gear!

Some folks get different things from their educations, if I wanted a 13 year career I could've gone into metal spinning with Father and been crippled up by time I was 45 too. Best of all, I already had quite a few years of spinning to start with and I wouldn't've been breathing the metal fumes a weldor had to then.

Anyway, while the skill is what REALLY counts getting the education tells your potential employer you at least have what it takes to learn to do a job and have at least the basics necessary.

Frosty

Edited by Frosty

I'm not really looking for just a pay check. I'm more looking for something I enjoy doing. If I wanted a pay check I could say where I am and continue to be completely miserable. Although, I see your point too, I don't necessarily want to be just a weldor, but I do enjoy metal crafts and working with my hands. Welding seemed to be a gateway into that particular line of work.

I wish it was as simple as just "going and getting it." Right now I still don't think I'm really qualified to get a job that will pay what I'll need to make to change jobs (if that makes sense).

So, do you actually need the schooling for the certs? I'm assuming they would play a big part in looking for a job. I was hoping that you could get them with out the degree.

Thanks for the reply.

Been doing this since '73. No I did not attend a school but if I had it to do again I would but more in the metalurgy end. There are a few jobs out there where you can learn to weld while getting paid, IF and that is a BIG 'IF', you are willing to apply yourself. Asking one of the best weldors on the job to give you some pointers, practice during your lunch break what he told/showed you. Ask again. Practice some more. Any new job you take as a welder, you will have to test. As for the schools out there....Some are good, some are not so good, and some are a TOTAL waste of money! We have 2 guys in our shop that attended a trade school to learn welding...I wouldn't hire either of them. I know of several that made excellent weldors. I would suggest you find a company, or several, in your area and ask what school they recommend, then attend it!
Some 20+ years ago there were only 2 universities that offered an engineering degree in welding. One here in Longview, TX, the other in Ohio. I'm sure now there are more. There is a ton more to welding than just running a bead. For instance, we have 140+ different welding procedures where I work, ranging from carbon steel to 99.9997% pure silver, and includes SMAW, GTAW, GMAW, FCAW, BW. I have tested in all of the procedures and all of the processes. (I get to run the PQR's when we need them, that is usually a good challenge) At one time I was Qualilfied in SAW in carbon steel and all stainless steel but that was in a pressure vessel shop and many years ago... I don't mean to sound as tho I know everything about welding, not by a LONG shot. I'm just saying there is more to it than running a pretty bead. I wish you success, it has been a good profession for me. I have learned a lot and have been able to pass some of that knowledge on to a few others. "If you can't learn something new today, try to teach something new to someone else" TD Good Luck.

I am mostly self taught on the job with lots of reading from trade magazines in the past. I did go to "A" school in the Navy Seabees, but what I actually did in the welding part of school was to help teach my fellow students and fabricate some projects for the school and some of the instructors. LOL

I look at the future of welding and its already happening that a lot of the Mfg compaines want certified welders. All certification means is that you passed a test under ideal conditions and passed.

I was never certified but did a lot of welding that was supposed to be done by certified welders, but their work couldn't live up to the piece of paper that said they could do it.

The one thing to remember is you will never know it all, and when you think you do, you are on the downhill slide to oblivion.

My goal thru my years as a Blacksmith, Weldor and Machinist was to do each and every job to the best of my ability and to try and perform each job better than the last one.

Getting paid to do a job you enjoy is a goal the majority of people never end up achieving.

Getting paid to do a job you enjoy is a goal the majority of people never end up achieving.

Thanks for the reply and thank you for your service. I for one am getting very very sick of doing a job that I hate. I know I won't find a job I enjoy 100% of the time but I'm sure going to try to find one that I actually find some enjoyment and meaning in. If I have to go to school to achieve this I will make it happen, but it would be easier if I can get around it. I wouldn't mind getting the certs so long as I know I have the knowledge behind me, unfortunately the world we live in seems to be getting farther and farther from common sense and more obsessed with frivolous pieces of paper that may or may not mean anything.

But I'm getting off the point. I guess with all things if I were to get a degree in the field it would make job hunting easier. Although it doesn't seem like its 100% necessary, it does seem like it can have a real impact in a lot of cases. I guess I'll have to look around and try my luck and see where it takes me.

Thanks guys for the replies.

You can educate yourself by getting books and practicing extensively. But the best way to get the practice/knowledge you need is to go to school for it. I HIGHLY recommend Hobart's institute of welding. They are located in Troy, Ohio. I have a friend who is currently attending now and I am planning to be attending in the near future. Their 9 month course costs just under $14,000 and is second-to-none in the quality of education you get. But it depends on what kind of welding career you are looking to get in to. Just being a "trigger-puller" like sticking exhaust tube together doesn't take a lot of schooling to do (no offense to anyone. I am merely making an example). But, on the other hand, if you want to be welding steam lines for a nuclear power plant or putting gas lines together, a good education is definitely needed. I could sit here and go into almost a 5 page detail of how I would recommend going about doing everything yourself and how to identify discontinuities throughout and within a weld, but it is MUCH easier and more accurate to have someone show you so you aren't just guessing.

FYI: This is the web site for more information on Hobart Institute of Welding Technology (HIWT) - Welding School - Troy Ohio They will send you a complete informational packet on their classes.

Best of luck to you in your future endeavors,
-Hillbilly

P.S; there is a statistic that I heard about stating that in the next 5-10 years, there will be almost 80,000 welder retiring from the industry (because of the "Baby-Boomer" generation) and, currently, there is only roughly 15-20% of younger welders to take their place in the current industry.

Edited by Hillbillysmith
Spelling Errors

Thanks for the suggestion. I'd like to get into more the fabrication end of things. I enjoy making things and thinking about ways to solve problems. As it is now my mind is remarkably mindless and boring. I'd like to work on something important or at the very least something creative. I know thats kind of vague, but its all I have right now.

At the moment I'm kind of nailed down (house, wife, bills, job), so it may take some doing trying to go to a school a long distance away. Not that it can't be done, just that I'm not sure how to do it right now. I know Barren Institute has a welding program, although they are still a bit of a distance away, 1-1.5 hour(s) away. I'm not sure how good they are or how much they cost tho.

For now I guess I'll keep practicing and reading and hope to get my foot in the door somewhere. Thanks guys for the replies :).

If you want to do fabrication, learning to read welding blueprints will be a great thing to learn. Some jobs require you to have that skill. Something that just takes technique overall such as creative things (art,sculptures,etc.) doesn't take a whole lot. Sculpting is fun and you can let your imagination run totally wild.

-Hillbilly

I don't know how many folk here are professional welders, but I was wondering how important it is to go to school for welding? Right now I'm 27 years old and don't really have the money or time to be going back to school. I've been practicing stick pretty much every day now for more than a month and am getting fairly good at it. I don't think that I am even close to being capable of making a career out of it yet, but I was wondering if I could just learn it on my own and eventually find employment or go for the different certifications?

The amount it would cost to go to school for welding seems like it would be money better spent on welding equipment. But, I don't know the expectations or requirements in the industry, so any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks.

Hi, I can only answer you like this: I was 24yrs old and had a chance to go for welding classes ... I did not go. I am NOW 1 month shy of 49yrs old and I am kicking myself for not going sonner. I am trying to find the money to pay for all other lifes' expenses. Yes, I have a Miller 185a/220v MIG and I learned through trial and error... more error.

I want to go to schoool but, I cant afford it . ... "Once you get your certification, you're in" ..... JUST GO, go back to school sonner than later. Really think about it. And then think about it some more.

Take Care and good luck,
ED/ CAT NJ 08088

Chris,

In my ten years as a certified professional welder I have enjoyed a good career.
I went to school and all that. I say go for it. I would also suggest that you also that you get some machining experiance as well. Both will serve you well and you will be a more valuable. CHECK YOU PM

P.S; there is a statistic that I heard about stating that in the next 5-10 years, there will be almost 80,000 welder retiring from the industry (because of the "Baby-Boomer" generation) and, currently, there is only roughly 15-20% of younger welders to take their place in the current industry.

In 5-10 Yrs I should be on the hunt for a welding job , thats my plan .

I plan on getting my welding certs AS SOON as i get out of high school. Here our high school . voc. school welding classes count for hrs. at the Community Voc. school to get your certs. Next semster I`am taking a welding blueprint class at our voc. school. Then next year I`am taking the welding & machine shop classes. Becasue i want some machining expreince.

Have been doing this for 30+yrs. school is great IF you find a good one. Have worked aero space and mil spec jobs where the forman did all the tests for you. Have worked aircraft jobs where the Shop
provided certs. I have owened and operated a welding, CNC cutting, blacksmith shop for 6 yrs. No schooling. Try starting out welding thermoucouples inside .020 tubes. You can learn on your own. It aint easy. Have had cert testers tell me " I never did it I went to school" Sorry but I went to the school of hard knocks.