I Forge Iron

Taking tools on a trip

I mentioned a while back that I am planning on going on a missions trip to an orphanage in Jamaica. One of the things I will be doing is some miscellaneous mechanical work on some farm equipment and such, but it also looks like I may be teaching some blacksmithing. I am in the process of purchasing and accumulating what will likely be 40 to 50 pounds in tools. Tools will include sockets, wrenches, screw drivers, hex keys, hammers (of course), pliers, etc...

I looked at shipping and due to a friend who works for a major shipping company, I can get it shipped for nearly nothing, however the process of getting it released once down their will be very expensive if they release the shipment at all? If I can keep it under the 50 pound mark and get it all in some sort of suit case I can take it as luggage on the plane for what looks like about an extra $30. So this is the route I'm planning on taking.

A few guidelines I have been told to follow... new tools should not be in their packages (so it doesn't look like they are to be resold), Not to box up the shipment tightly as it will likely be opened for inspection multiple times.

So here is my question... What kind of bag or what ever do I pack these tools in? I know the airlines don't handle baggage with a lot of care sometimes and the idea of having tools ripping out a bag and spilling all over a baggage processing area concerns me. Any ideas???

I think I would use a bag with metal zippers. With the kind of weight and items in the bag I would be afraid of plastic zippers braking. The soft sided bag with a handle and wheels. You will have to carry it at some point! And no telling how far. Keep the weight under 50#s and it can be a carry on. IIRC, that is what Alison & Steve Finn did with her tools she brought to the SCABA conference. She was one of the demonstrators. Of course, you may need to check on that as you will be on an international flight.

I would like to know more details of your trip. Definitely pictures if you can when you get back. PM me if you like. I'll be praying for ya.

A well used tool box would be idea, but it telegraphs to much information to sticky hands. A used attache case, an old cosmetic case, or maybe even an old overnight suitcase would be more appropriate. Check thrift stores. Used hand tools are very welcome. Old quality hand tools made in USA are viewed by Jamaicans as being superior to the cheap Asian stuff they see in their markets. Oh, slip in a carbide saw blade for good measure. A 10 inch carbide saw blade makes a wonderful gift to the local woodworker, he will return favors in spades.

I have taken tools in both duffel bags and suit cases I would think about useing blueboard to keep sharp points from comeing out. Don't take anything of so much value that you can't afford to lose it. Security seems to always look at the tools since 9/11 so don't put something really tempting with them. Hope you have a good trip.

Some great ideas so far,
I thought about one of those tool bags that are available, but don't know how it will hold up to the chutes and overall abuse luggage can take.
I thought about an old hard shell suitcase, but my fear is the latches won't hold up.
My mind keeps saying that 50 pounds of tools is far different than 50 pounds of clothing...

A couple things I have thought about doing is wiring or zip tying the wrenches together and stringing the sockets together like a beaded necklace :D, things like that I can bundle or tie together I thought might not be as likely to get "lost"?
Another idea came from a post here about one guy who says he carries his tools in a canvas roll... I thought that rolling the tools in even old Tshirts might buffer their ride?

Please keep the ideas coming and I'll let you all know what I finally come up with...

I think a good used hardshell suitcase is your best bet. Pick one up at a thrift store so if/when it gets dinged up, it won't matter. You might line each half of the shell with foam and go with your other ideas like tieing things together & rolling them up. I have also used a strap around a suitcase, going thru the handle. Not a wratchet strap, just a regular type you pull to tighten. That way, if security does want/need to check things out, they can get in & out with out a problem. And the strap will help take some stress off the hinges & latches.
Good luck and let us know how thing go.

Mitch

I always use a pelican hard-shell case when I travel they are a bit expensive. But you get what you pay for and they will take a large amount of abuse. The foam lined idea in a hard shell suit case is an excellent idea also. I travel allot so durability is a big concern on my part. Good luck on your mission trip.

I agree with Hammerjoe, I was in the army and we always packed our gear in the Pelican boxes. I never saw one break and they went through alot of abuse, They are alittle heavy but you could use one as a suitcase and hold the tools. Get one with the wheels on it to make moving it around easier.
Chris

My travel bag for tools is one of those heavy duty green canvas duffel bags from an army surplus store. The first one I found was huge and completely immovable when full, but I found a smaller sized one that works pretty good. I think I paid $5 for it. The big one, I filled with gravel and sand, hung it in the garage, and used it as a heavy bag for a long time. The bottom eventually dropped out on it.
Mickey

I second the army duffle bag suggestion; you will have to add clothing or something to bulk it out. Don't roll up items as they will need to be unrolled for inspection. Go to the thrift store and buy cheap gym bags and subdevide the tools in them in the duffle---make sure you get the modern army duffle that has pack straps!

I travel with an empty army duffle in my suitcase and hardly never not use it coming back and it's often full of smithing stuff---including the one time I brought back 50# of coal in one of my duffles.

HELLO
Being an international demonstrator and teacher I was mooving lots of tools from Israel
to the USA.Cannada,Germany .Holland .Japan and more.
I used most of the time HEAVY DUTY canvas army bag. once I demoed at NWBA nnd
canairon 2 and took with me 220# of tools in two bags.
one thing you can not privent THEY will open it for securitry inspection.
one time on the way to Germany THEY opened and steal 4 of the 15 hammers I had.
May be one of the inspectors was a hobbty blacksmith !!!!!!!!!
On my last flight to Holland a month ago THEY opend to cheack and steal the bottle of parfume 100$ I bought as a present for my wife.
HOFI

I think one of the heavy duty canvas tool bags would work great. They have a zipper on top, and are pretty bomb proof. The bottom half is double thick as are the sides half way up. Thats what I carry my hammers, tongs, etc in when I travel (though I admit I have never taken it on a plane). I think it would hold up pretty well though. The thing I'm talking about used to be called mason's tool bag, but you can get pretty fancy ones at lowes, home depot etc.
What ever you do, I like the idea of zip tying your tools together into "clumps". Seems it would make it less likely that things would get pilfered that way. Good luck and have fun!
Ed