I Forge Iron

USS Cod submarine batteries

The USS Cod is a WWII-era submarine in Cleveland, Ohio. It’s maintained as a museum shop by a dedicated group of volunteers, who just came up with a rather cool idea. Since it doesn’t actually go anywhere, they decided to replace some of the missing batteries with 3D-printed copies of their top covers, giving an accurate look of what the Cod looked like when it was in service and also providing a lot of storage space that was otherwise missing. Cool idea. 
IMG_8751.jpeg.c50a8e45569575588a8fbb94882ab469.jpeg

IMG_8752.jpeg.d8cb5a468df930a65e0991c2d3f07309.jpeg

Well, the “better solution” they eventually developed was changing submarines’ power source from batteries to nuclear reactors, so there’s that. 

Actually the 1st atomic reactor was Chicago-Pile1 in 1942. A true "Pile" of graphite bricks to moderate the neutrons so they could split nuclei and the released neutrons wouldn't go shooting off at near light speed and get lost. Not quite ready to power a submarine but it still generated atomic power and more importantly to the war enriched uranium making the transuranic, U238 Plutonium.

While it generated electricity it was less than it used and more one of the experiments. 

Sorry about the sidetrack. Thank you for the Cod link I'm enjoying it thoroughly and putting it on a possible visit if we get close RVing.

Frosty The Lucky.

Not really. As Frosty says, nuclear power did not  become practical for submarine propulsion until after WWII. Because of reductions in the size and changes in the strategic doctrines of the postwar navy, the “better solution” of nuclear power was something that went into the construction of the next generation of vessels, rather than into retrofitting the now-obsolete WWII fleet.

Interestingly, the USS Nautilus (the world’s first nuclear-powered submarine) was commissioned in 1954, the same year that the Cod was decommissioned.

Only in the choice of words Scott, the first reactors were lab test devices, not power plants and cooling was a real issue. Big boats unlimited cooling ability were perfect for atomic power but it took a number of developments to make it work. Sub and carrier reactors are called tea kettles.

Frosty The Lucky.

Been there, just fyi if You have trouble bending Your knees and such, a submarine may not be the best choice to visit. Especially if there is a line in back of You that is in a hurry.:P

As a kid I used to visit the USS Silversides (same class as Cod) which was a Naval Reserve training ship in Chicago.  It is now a museum ship in Muskegon, MI.

And, of course, the U-505 at the Museum of Science and Industry which was only a couple miles from my house (I used to ride my bike there).  Access is easier since they have cut holes in the pressure hull for folk to enter and exit.  I remember my father taking me to see it moved out of Lake Michigan, across the Outer Drive, and to the Museum in IIRC about 1955.

On 5/1/2024 at 10:02 PM, JHCC said:

Not really

I know.  That's why I said "kind of"...;)

I've been reading up on submarines.  Not for me.  String test, creaking and groaning, etc... No way out....  Kind of reminds me of cave spelunkers.  No thanks.  I'd prefer the ocean spray in my face...:)

You've ridden jet liners voluntarily haven't you? A thin walled pressurized aluminum tube built by the lowest bidder cruising at 35,000 feet sounds safer?

I'd go for tour in a sub but a see the sights and say you did it tour, not a tour of DUTY!:o

Frosty The Lucky.

No spelunking for me; I’m too big for squeezing through narrow cracks. I fly all the time, and I’d love to take a trip on a submarine sometime, especially one of the ones where you can look out the portholes. 

That said, there’s no way on earth that you’ll get me on an experimental submersible to visit the Titanic. I’m no genius, but I’m not an idiot. 

53 minutes ago, Frosty said:

A thin walled pressurized aluminum tube built by the lowest bidder

“When one door closes, another one opens.” — Boeing

When one door blows out we have room for more seats in. Sit up straight, keep your elbows

in your lap and your feet under your own seat, Boeing.

Has the Japanese foot pedal subs beaten the man powered submarine fatality record set by the CSS Hunley?

Frosty The Lucky.

The CSS Hunley sank 3 times for a total of 21 fatalities, including the designer Mr. Hunley himself. She did however sink the USS. Housatonic though I don't recall how many US sailors died with her. 

Frosty The Lucky.

Five USN sailors were killed on the Housatonic, to the eight Confederates killed in the (final) sinking of the Hunley. 

I don’t know about pedal-powered craft, but the Japanese Kaiten manned torpedoes (which had propellant similar to conventional torpedoes) sunk three vessels with a combined loss of 187 USN sailors. 

I don't know.  I'm sorry I mentioned those pedal subs.  They had many schemes, flea infested planes launched from submarines:

"Operation Cherry Blossoms at Night was a Japanese plan to wage biological warfare against cities in Southern California, in retaliation for the U.S. firebombing of Japanese cities, which killed hundreds of thousands of Japanese civilians. The Japanese plan called for using aircraft launched from I-400-class submarines to drop “bombs” containing millions of plague-infested fleas."

Every now and then someone finds the remains of one of the "Fu-Go" balloon bombs Japan launched during WWII. Of the 9,000+ launched only one did real damage 6 dead, 5 children on a picnic in Oregon.

I believe the US military experimented with flea and mosquito bombs hoping for a biological weapon too. The pidgin guided bomb was another classic brainstorm.

Frosty The Lucky.