I Forge Iron

Etching disaster

I've figured out nice welding on 2" cable that I was told I couldn't do Ibut I tried. exact is never that inportant, just the fun of work and admiration and support from my tools. I know everyone is telling me the same thing , I'm just asking what everyone does with last oxide to ever be able to use it for light colored food without a black stain

Do I not need to boil in bs, set it in cooler stuff or do it longer. I know that stuff is tacky 30 min after taking it out of water with light mineral  oil. I even try to agitate anything that tries to accumulate. Wet, it looks good

Tx

1 hour ago, hbmasa said:

I'd say if they got a bottle, sure?

NO!  Hopefully you would research it enough to get to this CDC site which would tell you that even though it etches metal just fine, it is horrifically dangerous to use:

https://emergency.cdc.gov/agent/hydrofluoricacid/basics/facts.asp#:~:text=What hydrogen fluoride is,may be called hydrofluoric acid.

Please learn to do research from respectable sources.

I'm just asking about vinegar and hp. My opener says I don't understand or intend to ever use ferric again. I had what I think was alot of it weight wise and got rid of it and quit using fc. No vinegar and peroxide people in the house? And I would never use acid from shady source. Ebay

2 hours ago, Latticino said:

Please learn to do research from respectable sources. 

I came here because I thought you guys were overerall respectable. Is there a bad one not to listen too? Somebodies posting on my post i've got a few guesses. Just my luck,with me it makes 2 yahoo's on here

They are trying to tell you not to listen to anyone. Trust but verify. Do your own research and then follow proven steps. 

The great thing about this site is anyone can say any dumb thing they want, but someone will correct them if they are telling you the wrong information. It is called peer reviewed work.

You don't know enough to ask the right questions or the understanding to follow.

I'm not trying to beat up on you.

When you asked if you could stick your hands in acid I decide I was out.

I know absolutely nothing about etching blades but I have a working knowledge of the procedures. You are hodgepodge different ideas together trying to make it work. Ever heard of two ways to skin a cat?

You don't understand ph and no one is going to hold your hand and spoon feed you. For instance we are talking about neutralizing acid. We tell you baking soda raises the ph. Then you mention windex/ammonia which is fine and can also be used to neutralize acid as well. Ammonia is a base which will raise the ph of acid when mixed. Add enough base till you bring the acidity level to 7. See two ways to skin said cat. One way or the other. Not a combination.

We don't have to guess who doesn't know what they are talking about. There is only one person i wouldn't  listen to and unfortunately it is you. 

Any suggestions a member gives is an opinion that you should double check.

I mentioned I wouldn't use hydrogen peroxide in any of your solutions. I maybe wrong, but did you verify? Research or understand why? 

This isn't just specific to you. It is for everyone. Always trust but verify. To keep yourself safe.

I've learned enough I'm confident you'd be a poor source of hp and vinegar information.  You can learn to hear tones when folks aren't sure. Nothing in metal is new, just rediscovered. So one of you out there may have the info. I need, like the question was repeatedly asked implies, how to get off the last oxide layer gently enough. I can tell by answering something else, you don't know about that. Anyone can post if no one stops you but if it's just to say what you don't know or how i can change destination vs route thats not really helpful. Asked it 8 times and you're on my case about burning hands? Alright then, ive learned you didnt read the whole post? Not just for you, but for all the grumpies who prefer liberries, and private chat rooms for their newest material. 

Im pretty sure you're not the go to guy for ph either 

I guess i do appreciate yout bravery, honesty and being willing to tell us what you don't know. You're still our champion!!

Same as if you never posted. Internet personalities huh. And stay ignorant coming from Florida, ouch.  Chat rooms  are so empowering. You also don't know how to effectively assist someone. Course with oranges all around and clear knowledge of what you don't know i do feel behind you. oh well tell your husband his lil kitty tried to scratch tonight and will be sleepy

Your right i should of told you to drink the acid and do the world a favor. You are gullible enough to believe anything. Tastes like kool-aid with the addition of the windex.

Oh yeah I got some magic beans for sale as well....

Metal working has not been rediscovered, we learned what we know by reading, listening and doing. We didn't demand knowledgeable people answer our questions in a way we want. Well to be honest learning not to be childish brats is part of the learning curve.

You have been told repeatedly how to remove the undesirable surface from etched steel and you ignore the answers and insist, INSIST on removing the oxide layer. What exactly do you think etching the blade does?

Insulting folks who are actually giving you the information you actually NEED is a good way to stop folks from trying. 

Last from me. You don't know enough to know what questions to ask, how to ask them or understand the answers and in a childish snit insult the people you are asking. Ignorance can be cured, stupidity is it's own death sentence.

a few of us have tried to help, and you dont want to listen. You were told to not remove the oxide layer as that is what you are creating intentionally to show a pattern, you insist on removing it then complain when its gone.  So no more kicking this horse this thread is closed