I Forge Iron

I’d like some help with vise identification.

NimrodPhinney

So, I have a vice that’s been in my paternal family line for over 100 years.    I’ve tried to identify it on line, but, as it has no casting marks or proofs, I’m at a loss.  

The jaws are 3 1/2” wide and the mouth extends to 5”.   It has a working lever/cam and man, does it crank down and hold a piece of metal.  

Again, it has absolutely no markings anywhere.    

thanks for your time. 

IMG_2885.jpeg

IMG_2884.jpeg

IMG_2877.jpeg

IMG_2878.jpeg

IMG_2879.jpeg

IMG_2882.jpeg

IMG_2881.jpeg

Welcome aboard from 7500' in SE Wyoming.  Glad to have you.  It would help if you put your general location in your profile.  This is a world wide forum and we don't know if you are in St.Petersburg, Russia, St. Petersburg, Alaska, or the middle of the Amazon Basin.

Very nice vise.  I don't think I've ever seen one with a cam and handle rather than a screw.  I can't help with ID but there may be someone here who can.

"By hammer and hand all arts do stand."

Welcome aboard Nimrod, glad to have you. As suggested putting your general location in the header can make all the difference, so much of the draft is location specific.

Does your vise advance a little every time you move the handle or do you slide it into contact and tighten it with the handle? I've seen pics of "cam drive" rather than screw vises before but can't find a bookmark in my tools or blacksmithing files. <sigh> 

I did a quick scan of my favorite vise website but just a quick skim and didn't see the type. However, they answer questions about vises like this gang answers questions about blacksmithing. 

I don't think Vintage Vises is a commercial site so it should be okay to post here.  

https://www.vintagevises.com/ 

Frosty The Lucky.

Scott NC.  That looks like you nailed it.  Thanks.  

thanks to all for the replies.    

For anyone who is interested in its provenance, I can safely say that this vice has been in my family since at least 1879.   I’ve done quite a bit of research in my paternal families heritage via ancestry dot com and believe that my 4th Great Grandfather left Kentucky with this vise to St. Louis and in 1880 purchased a pocket watch along with a British Bulldog .44 pistol.  (Both of which I have).   These three items made it across the plains, thru Colorado and to California then in 1899 to Detroit.  The vise was attached to a bench in the city of Detroit where my great grandfather, grandfather father and I would beat the ever loving shit out of it on that bench until I removed it about 20 years ago.   It sat on the bottom of my bench until I moved to Florida where it sits on the bottom of a bench.  

I feel that this vise is considerably older than 1879.    

so I thank you all from the nose bleed elevation of 79’ above sea level just north of Tampa, Florida.    

The US Department of Labor's inflation calculator only goes back to 1913.  $14 in 1913 equal $446.19 in March, 2024.  So, that vise was definitely an expensive one when new.

Cool family story.

I don't know if I could tolerate the thickness of the air at 79', particularly when you add the humidity and the heat.  I'll stay here up on the hill, thank you.  Better thee than me.

"By hammer and hand all arts do stand."

Bingo Scott! It doesn't show in Vintage Vises. A web search for "Halls Sudden Grip Vise" found that very catalogue page. 

I've read about the type if not these vises before too, if not here then maybe on one of the vintage tool fora. Thomas probably pointed us to it it'd be right up his alley. I lost track of where that thread lives, probably in the bowels of my old laptop. No matter what the computer tech says they never transfer ALL your data. <sigh>

That is a great family story Nimrod, thanks for sharing. I ran it by a current inflation calculator and it looks like it cost around $408.66 in 2024 dollars. I hope you find bench space for it at 79' I'm pretty sure it'd enjoy a couple few more generations hammering away on it. 

I wonder how it'd far here at 4x the elevation? 380' above mean sea level whatever it is at any given second in the Knik Arm of Cook Inlet. 

Frosty The Lucky.

1 hour ago, George N. M. said:

So, that vise was definitely an expensive one when new.

Yeah, I was cross checking a 1910 S&R catalogue and the most expensive vise I saw was a $4.97 swivel vise!

Keep it fun,

David