I Forge Iron

Excavations at Sheffield Castle

Not in the day! Happily you and I are too old for the job. I'm a real fan of Wessex archeology, they have a LOT of very interesting pages and topics. One I've been following lately is Ancientcraft UK by Dr. James Dilley. Among many subjects he discusses he's a professional flint knapper and an excellent teacher. He's easier to learn the craft from than many other knappers with videos up.

Sorry for the side track. Thanks for the link Scott, I LOVE this kind of stuff.

Frosty The Lucky.

I'm starting to see the wisdom of not going off track on here actually.  It's hard to type out long missives and tell my life history on here, pecking away on a cell phone.  I am at a disadvantage!

It's hard for me to remember typing on a cell phone, I don't text. It took a little time to train my friends to call, email or get ignored. I talk on my cell. My laptop is pretty small, smaller than I like but it's okay and I can connect almost anywhere or through my Iphone. 

Have you considered a small laptop? They're really pretty cheap, are easy to view and touch type.

If I had to type on my phone I wouldn't be anything but a memory on IFI. On those rare occasions I have to reply through text, like doctor, etc. I have to type with one index finger. It pisses me off beyond the inconvenience. 

Beautiful day here, clear sunny closing in on 60f and even the crowd at Fred Meyer was in a happy mood. It's been so nice I'm toying with tearing the plastic winter covers off the widows. I can never remember what they're called, you stick them to the inside of the frame on sticky tape and shrink them tight with a blow drier.

Anyway, I think they're coming off maybe tomorrow. :)

I'm seeing buds on some trees though nothing budding on the ground, we still have maybe 18" but it's going fast Fast FAST! We be RVing soon!

Jer

12 hours ago, Frosty said:

Have you considered a small laptop? They're really pretty cheap, are easy to view and touch type.

I thought about this after I posted that comment, but it was tooooo late.  I really have no excuse.  Other than the fact I can't make it past the junkyard on my way to the computer store...  or wind up on the Fossil Shack website.... or.... ;)

I'll get one, sometime.....

I used to put that plastic window insulation up every winter.  One place I lived, when I took it down it took the finish right off with it.

It has been close to 90's Here lately and today it's in the 50's and rain.

Cool, then I'll pester you about buying a new laptop every time you complain about writing long posts or other excuses for not posting now and then. Would you like me to send you "valuable offers?"

I'm sure the one I bought was obsolete before it went into production and I dearly miss my last laptop, especially the numeric pad. On the upside it's at least 1,000 times faster and 2k larger internal storage so I can generally not bother with storing my data in the China owned cloud. When my onboard memory starts getting crowded I have a stand alone DVD drive and a stack of printable DVDs. Getting it organized on the other hand is an issue for my dented brain. Not that I've ever been very good at organizing things except for the one time I had enough wall space for lots of book shelves. The owner said sure so long as I leave them or the brackets. That one time most of my library was organized with a version of the Dewy decimal system, labeled sections and all. 

I dream of having a proper library with modern rolling stacks and room for a nice large table so I can have gamers over for RPGs. D&D being the best known Roll Playing Game. A library with locks on the door so Deb can NOT turn it into storage!

Anyway, modern computers like this one are all solid state, there is no disk drive so it can take a pretty hard knocking around without problem even while it's working. I even have a carry "water proof" case with pack straps. I can see myself sitting on a log or rock on a beach in or near Ninilchik knapping the local jasper with one of Dr. James Dilley's how to knap videos running, stop and start when I need the advice. I have to keep it light but we can get a camping spot for the RV almost level with the beach so I don't have to pack tools or rock up and down a 150' bluff face. The bluff is where the jasper and chert weather out then wave action turns them into rocks, pebbles and sand. Lots of good flaking stock if I can adjust to the stone. 

Yeah, the adhesive strip for the window stuff is tough to get off without removing paint even some wood. The trick is get it really warm with the blow drier, it peals much better and you can rub the warm remains off with a finger or pink eraser. Happily out windows are all plastic so it doesn't damage them but it's still a stone bitch getting it cleaned off. Makes for a much warmer and more draft free house in winter though.

It looks like it might hit the low 70s today! mid to high 60s is inhumanly HOT enough but 70s? In APRIL!!!:o

Should be good beach combing and knapping weather though, I have a wide brim straw hat and an insulated mug for my iced tea.:)

Jer

On 4/21/2024 at 12:27 PM, Frosty said:

Cool, then I'll pester you about buying a new laptop every time you complain about writing long posts or other excuses for not posting now and then. Would you like me to send you "valuable offers?"

I did not know I got low enough to be complaining about it.  I suppose I did, but it seemed like an observation on my part, at the time.  I won't make that mistake again.  As for posting now and then, what is your criteria for that?  I post erratically? 

I appreciate your dream library, I would like the same.  Who wouldn't.  It kind of reminds me of Billy's thoughts on the study he is building.  I once was into chemistry and dreamed of the perfect laboratory.  That probably would not have ended well, if it came true.

Dreams of the perfect shop too. 

How about owning a big chunk of Colorado.  Or own a fossil hunting firm?  Lost wreck treasure hunting yacht?

What is life without dreams?  Pretty damn boring, I think.

Btw, your mention about heating up that window tape would be good for the "tips-n-tricks" forum.  A simple trick for that is also never take it off and the tape glue just degrades and it falls off.

Goodness I'm not making any demands of nor grieving you. When I said I'll pester you when you gripe about long posts, you have a few times and might again. Aren't friends allowed to toss a little crap at each other?

Write now and then is like telling guys to write if you find work at the end of the day. You go stretches without posting or PMing and I wonder what you're up to. Sometimes you get pretty down so there's a little concern for a friend in there too. Should I not? I can not turn off caring about people, especially friends.

My dream house is a 2 story, false thatch, Craftsman with a corner tower, breakfast nook on the ground floor and reading room study on the second. Bedroom dormers and a fireplace. Though a stone keep with an elevator would work :)

Treasure hunter of course! Alan Quartermain with Mel Fisher's ship and equipment! Maybe MI5's "Q" to keep everything working above and beyond expected and inventing new stuff. I'll bet Q would have Mel Fisher's treasure hunter outfitted with hover mode and rigged for space in no time. 

A big chunk of Colorado's Front range would be cool but I think buying all the fossil bearing regions of China and kicking the commy scum out an airlock of Mel Fisher's space,treasure ship, would be even better. 

I'll have to check the bathroom window, the weather seal glue strip was stuck hard when I put last winter's weather seal on and it was 2 years old then. I'd try acetone but we have vinyl windows and don't want to dissolve the frames even a little bit.

Another glorious day here, might make it into the 60s. We almost hit 60 yesterday and a boy can hope for today. We're getting the RV prepped to go into Anchorage to be de-winterized. We'll be cleared for old fart traveling soon! If I get a vote on destination I'm voting for the beach with all the jasper so I can take a slash at knapping stone tools. I've been watching Knap Time pretty steadily and am ready to see if I shave a handle on what he's talking about. 

Give Mom a hug for me please and don't forget Gina's ear scritching.

Jer

I am not getting this bump thing, isnt that the same as when some one says they are reviving an old post maybe from years ago? 

Anyway, am i the only one who read that story in a Monty Python documentary kind of voice? 

Well, I completely misunderstood what you wrote, I don't know why, but I did.   And I should know better.  I would never expect you to turn off caring about people, anymore than I could not care for others.  Especially friends.  I sincerely appologize for my confusion.  I sent you a PM concerning this.  You have many thanks for the hug and scritch coming your way.....:rolleyes:.  

As far as the bumping thing goes, I bumped a topic TWICE but did not add any content to it.  Actually this happened once before, I was warned and it is entirely my fault.  Can't have everybody bumping everything all over the place, it would get pretty confusing.

My, this thread went haywire.....

Haywire is a standard for me.

As far as the bumping thing, as I understand it from warnings I've received on another forum, it is when you go into a post you made, say in tailgating and it doesn't get much traffic and you go in and post something like "bump" to move it to the top of the list to give the post more visibility. That is frowned upon.

Also like Scott said if you go start a new thread and link another thread without posting something it's considered "bumping", but if you go into the other thread and add a post to it it's not bumping but reviving an old thread. Now I think I'm confused too.:)

I can't control the wind, all I can do is adjust my sail’s.
Semper Paratus

Or linking another thread because it contains something relevant to the topic being discussed. 

You see marketers bumping ads so they're always at the top of search results. I run adblock to keep ads and bumpers off my screen but they sneak through anyway. Worse they advertise their marketing "service:angry:" boasting of their ability to keep your ad at the top of search results. Targeted advertising is often aimed at one word or combination in a search. 

I think I'm getting a handle on how Bumping applies to IFI. 

Frosty The Lucky.