I Forge Iron

Portable bandsaw stand from Hf

Saw these about a year ago and wanted one bad. They were out of stock every time I went there. 

Finally went there looking for ratchet straps to help haul home some sliding boards for the kids and thought to look and they had them. They went up about $20. But still worth it vs. the alternative. 

I have a bauer corded hand held saw and the milwaukee. It will work for both and has brackets to fit hercules, bauer, milwaukee and dewalt. I set mine up for the table to cut for frederick crosses and other cuts. It is well built and heavy gauge. Not flimsy junk. Just sharing incase anyone might find use in it. 

You would have to remove the table to change a blade. In my limited testing so far it works great. It also has a trigger lock and release lever to build onto it. 

Cool tool. 

20240220_223103.thumb.jpg.543f8c5ccb94a58cd32517c18fb9a621.jpg

20240220_223310.thumb.jpg.513e566a15521eddec1ec799b842fafe.jpg

Have you tried it as it's pictured in the ad.? Second picture. Just wondering if there is enough weight to use it as a stationary band saw. In other words, set it up to cut something and walk a way from it while it does the work.

I haven't yet. I just got it setup and tried it as a stand up so far. 

The shock that is on it would make you manually lower it for the cut as it is strong and holds it in the open position. The shock is easily removable with a twist clip. I dont know if the free weight of the portaband would be too heavy on the blade for cutting proper or not messing the blade up. 

Is it a "shock" or a hydraulic cylinder you can let feed down by opening a needle valve? That's the setup on my Jet horizontal Vertical bandsaw. It's one of my favorite power tools. :wub:

Frosty The Lucky.

It is a shock like you see on some car hoods and hatch gates. (Working on cars that is the best example i can thing of. But it is a sealed shock as far as I saw. I would love to have a good bandsaw like a jet but it isnt in my budget. Was gifted the bauer corded portaband and bought the milwaukee cordless for field work. This can use both. For the price it is both vertical and horizontal for the same money. The base for horizontal has 3 set bolts and it is on. 

I did a little searching and finally found something hopefully useful. The pic below is a kit I found using the search terms "horizontal bandsaw downfeed cylinder". There are lots of companies making replacements and conversion kits, "Practical Machinist" has discussions and directions for making them. 

Frosty The Lucky. 

Funny thing, Doc's Machine, the maker of the pictured cylinder is in Homer Alaska and is a major paint baller and cartoonist. I noticed after I selected this image.

image.png.fac609dc55139d0e0bc983133d2d63a5.png

That is a cool cylinder Frosty. I don't know if this thing would have the room for something like that but someone clever could certainly make it fit somehow. 

I have an old hydraulic cylinder (ram?) i hooked up to air once to see if it worked and it did. Its a bit bigger but still haven't found a need for it. 

Ahh, I forgot to send a pic of how they mount! <arghh> This is just one way, you can extend the bottom end horizontally along the bed though that mount needs a bolt flange on the cylinder rod. Heck, I think this one is home built. Ah HAH, it's from Mike's Workshop! He's an online maker of things.

The second pic is labeled "Hot sale" feed cylinder but I didn't see who had them on sale so a pic is it. Anyway, there are lots of these things, they've been used since before the beginning of the last century. The plumbing on the second pic. is to give the hyd. fluid somewhere to go when you open the needle valve, it just moves from bottom to top when the saw head is going down and back to the bottom when you lift the head up. Closing the valve locks the head where it is. 

Frosty The Lucky. 

image.png.deb8c40abd5bfb1309f5d3fa70afa82e.png  image.png.8290006d865733e300c80c750db2d7a7.png

The 64 1/2 inch stationary Dayton bandsaw I use at work doesn't have a cylinder. I'm very careful about lowering slowly onto the workpiece. I'm guessing it was bought back in the 80's?  It's a real common style I see at auctions. Took a close look at that red one at harbor freight and it is pretty much identical. 

• 3 weeks later...

Have a piece of steel 4"x3.5"x9.5" that has a hole in it 2.5". Want to make an early type stake anvil out of it. I tried my 4.5" grinder on it but was getting the cut crooked. Thought I would try out the portaband on it. Sure with the other part being a vertical cut might have gone faster but tried it in the horizontal. Cut just fine with little pressure on it. 

20240310_221445.thumb.jpg.f990ddfe55ea0799eea69590cc0cc150.jpg

20240310_222702.thumb.jpg.63e2c90f306b9d92a90be79dee82acdd.jpg

Ready to weld a shank on, then dress it. Debating welding on a small horn. 

Anyway I am finding this useful.