I Forge Iron

Golden Rooster

Scott NC

I was watching the news this morning about the unveiling of the Notre Dame Cathedral Spire and what caught my attention was the gold rooster on top.  I couldn't find much on who actually made it or any details, but one site said it was made of "gold copper".  I looked that up and found Tumbaga, an alloy used in pre-Columbian Mesoamerica.  I would like to know what this rooster is made of.

I did find this:

"It's a phoenix," said Philippe Villeneuve, the chief architect of historical sites who designed the flame-shaped rooster.  (It) shows that the flame is carried to the highest point of the cathedral... the fire is carried up there, but it's a fire of resurrection," he said, recalling the moment when he was holding the fallen rooster in front of cameras after the devastating fire.  

Here's a link to the history of the Rooster, it has some religious content, in case that's a concern:

https://www.friendsofnotredamedeparis.org/cathedral/artifacts/rooster/

I also watched a video on the creation of the bottom part of the spire called the trestle which is wood and was impressive.

Maybe this should go in "Everything Else" section but I am interested in the Gold Rooster and what it's made of.  

Scott, here is a link to the wikipedia article on the Gallic Rooster. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gallic_rooster

I have a post card published just after World War 1 of a pile of German artillery with a French rooster on top.

I suspect that the "gold-copper" may be a translation glitch meaning gold plated copper.  That said, copper is a common aditive to gold ti increase hardness for less than 24 karat gold jewelry.

GNM

To tell you the truth, the old rooster that fell off when it burned down is more appeling to me than the nice shiney new one, the more I look at it.  I don't think I would plate something going way up there, under the circumstaces, just to weather off.  

3 hours ago, George N. M. said:

I have a post card published just after World War 1 of a pile of German artillery with a French rooster on top.

That may be really personal thing but if not, it would be interesting to see.

Thanks for the post and link Scott, I saw a blurb on the news but have been gone all day. I recall the fellow holding the old one after the fire and shots of the spire falling. I'll be spending time checking out the links thanks all.

Frosty The Lucky.

Scott, my papers and books are still pretty chaotic from moving to Laramie but if I can find it I will scan it and post it but I'm not optimistic.  It will show up sooner or later and if it is some time I will PM a copy to you.  IIRC it was a war trophy display in a park in Paris in 1919.

G.

19 hours ago, George N. M. said:

Here's the image (or a similar one, anyway), taken in 1919 by Red Cross volunteer, diarist, and photographer Margaret Hall:

image.thumb.png.a2d894b7a88db809086c1910f45736a4.png

Further information is available on the website of the Massachusetts Historical Society, HERE. This also has links to other photographs by Ms. Hall, who appears to have been quite an interesting person. Here's a link to her Wikipedia article: Margaret Hall (photographer)

22 hours ago, Steve Sells said:

you may want to research an alloy called Tumbaga

I'm studying that right now.  Thanks.  I sent out some emails requesting contacts, links, details etc on that chicken.

20 hours ago, George N. M. said:

my papers and books are still pretty chaotic from moving to Laramie

Trust me, I can relate to that.  Thanks for the offer and I would still like to see that postcard if you happen upon it.

20 hours ago, JHCC said:

appears to have been quite an interesting person

Indeed....:). I have enjoyed looking at her other photos.  Thanks for those links.

• 2 weeks later...

I sent out several polite emails concerning the rooster and didn't get one reply.  It must be a secret who made it.  I did find this though:

"In light-hearted comments, the architect said that the process of design was so intense he might have to speak to his “therapist” about it." 

It was from Irish News.

• 1 month later...