I Forge Iron

connecting the blower

Sabre

well i recently bought this buffallo forge blower off ebay for $70 and greased it up..Works great...

I need to attach it to my forge now...it came with no stand or even a spot for a stand ... only a handel...so i was thinkin to take 2 pieces of quarter inch round and connect it to the top and bottom of the blower an weld or bolt the other side to the forge....

i will include a pic of the forge( unfinished pic for better view) and a pic of the blower....

Being as i just got into a house in calafornia ALL my forging stuff is stuck in canada till we can get it down and because i am only 13 i really have no control over the borde to let us bring it down..... i have abour 200 pounds of rr spikes and 30 pounds rebar so i am thinkin of buyin a cheap bbq nd makin a quick forge....
Only problen will be an anvil! ill look fer one but ther than that ill be stuck with a thick chunk of steel that i found in between where the 2 tracks split( U know the 1 inch thick by 4 inch wide by 2 feet long piece where the track switches) Or a track plate

Hope to get smithin asap.

Thanks,
Sabre

8764.attach

8765.attach

8766.attach

Quarter inch round is not going to be heavy enough for supporting your blower. A single 1/4 x 1 inch bracket probably wouldn't be enough either. 1/4 inch plate could be used, but, if I had the inclination to attach it directly to the forge, I would use heavier material (maybe 5/16th to 3/8" plate), welding that plate to the forge and bolting the blower to it using the existing holes.

Personally, I'm not sure I would attach the blower directly to the forge. I would probably make a stand (pipe on base) and use flexible pipe to the forge so I could move the blower to suit differing needs.

so if u took some egusaust pipe ( i spelt it wrong) and welded it to my tuyere then bent it up to becise the forge , cut slots in it ans firrind the end of the blower into it and then just bolted a piece of flat bar to the bottem so it supports it more. this sounds like it would work?

Thanks for the responses guys

If you take the blower to a muffler shop they can stretch it so it slips over the end of your blower, then you can clamp it on and not have to weld to the blower.

After that it's just a matter of plumbing the pipe to the tuyere.

That or make a bolt on bracket and stand, using longer bolts on the blower to reach the bracket so once again you don't have to do any welding to the blower itself. Then use flex pipe to plumb to the tuyere.

Welding on a fine old blower is the last thing I'd consider myself.

Frosty

My blower like that fit snuggly over a piece of scrap 1 1/2 inch stainless steel milk line. I just ran the bolts in the housing up tight and ran a 1/4 inch brace to the lip of the forge. Never had a problem with it being less that sturdy.
Finnr

Edited by Finnr
typo

I was mating a Champion Blower to a Buffalo Forge when I encountered this issue. I had a stand with my blower, but had the grief of dealing with a stand that wobbled. I took two pieces of flat bar and bent them around the blower pipe and attached them to the bolt that the blower would normally mount to the stand with. I torched and ground the end to look a bit more like it was made as part of the original equipment. On the back side the bar goes from the blower mount bolt back to the forge tub and is attached with a machine screw or nut&bolt. It appears your blower has bolts where the handle attaches-you can remove the existing bolts, replace with longer ones that will reach throught the blower, handle and flat stock used to make a bracket.
For a blower pipe I used a aluminum clothes dryer duct. It is flexible and heat resistant. It does not look bad either-in my opinion. See pic.:cool:

8798.attach

Edited by mesquiteforge
Noticed an error in my response.

Hey Mesquite, that does look like part of the original equipment. Good job.

Thanks Curly George. I take a lot of pride in my forge-being it belonged to my grandfather. He was not a blacksmith-but a rancher who used it to hot fit horseshoes and bend metal for various projects. When I acquired the forge there was no blower around-so I had to buy one and get creative to avoid the frustration of battling with a blower that would get knocked over or wobble every time I turned the handle. I need a new handle on the blower(wood is cracked), but thanks to zip ties I have survived the ordeal.
PS-the red paint makes it all fit together a lot better-haha.:D

Thanks Curly George. I take a lot of pride in my forge-being it belonged to my grandfather. He was not a blacksmith-but a rancher who used it to hot fit horseshoes and bend metal for various projects. When I acquired the forge there was no blower around-so I had to buy one and get creative to avoid the frustration of battling with a blower that would get knocked over or wobble every time I turned the handle. I need a new handle on the blower(wood is cracked), but thanks to zip ties I have survived the ordeal.
PS-the red paint makes it all fit together a lot better-haha.:D

Looks like a nice setup alright. In regards to your cracked handle, if you know anyone with a wood lathe, they could easily turn you a new handle. It would just take a few minutes is all. If I still had access to one I would make you one and send it to you.

You can turn the handle with a drill press too. Just be careful not to put much side pressure on it, drill presses don't have thrust bearings and don't hold up to side loading very well.

If you drill a hole down the center of the wood and insert a piece of all thread with nuts on either end of the wood to hold it in place you can then insert one end of the all thread in the drill chuck and the other in a hole drilled in a board clamped to the table to act as a tail stock. You'll have to make up a vertical tool rest that attaches to the table but that shouldn't be difficult.

Once mounted, turn as in a wood lathe holding your tongue at the appropriate angle.

I've also used hand drills clamped to a board as an expedient lathe, same caveat about the bearings. Be gentle and don't do it often or you'll be farther ahead just buying a wood lathe.

Frosty

Looks like a nice setup alright. In regards to your cracked handle, if you know anyone with a wood lathe, they could easily turn you a new handle. It would just take a few minutes is all. If I still had access to one I would make you one and send it to you.

Thanks for the generosity. I have several wooden handles that should fit the blower-from various corn shellers and hand cranked grinders that are out of service. I have just been too lazy to replace them. If I have the time to work-I want it to be at the forge and not on the forge. When it becomes too much of a pain, I'll take the time. I do not have a lathe, but have been looking at some Shopsmith lathes on Craigslist. I will have to try the drill press thing-I never thought of that-I could make a mesquite handle for Mesquite Forge. That would be nifty!:cool: