I Forge Iron

This or that (New anvil purchase)

I have determined that the best decision is to buy a new anvil, rather than find an old one in questionable condition/size/price. I would prefer a ~250+lb; the question is: What brand? A double horn is the preferred form, but Peddinghaus, TFS, Old World (Habermann style?), Refflinghaus? Kohlswa is nice, but not frugal enough.

obviously shipping for it would be a consideration, but its a new anvil, so it's not like it's a steal anyways.

The old world anvils seem rather cheap comparatively, who can attest to their quality?

Did I miss a manufacturer? Thanks everyone

Jymm, are you still / are you able to if you want to, producing a hornless colonial style? I'm thinking about getting my first (and hopefully last) new anvil next year around income tax return time, and I'd love to get a hornless colonial like the one I saw that you had cast a year or two ago.

JosephPrivott, my recommendation is to save up any extra money you need and get exactly what you're looking for and the quality you're looking for and do it right the first time. An anvil should last you more than a lifetime, so you should only ever really have to buy just one. As they say, only a rich man can afford cheap tools. Buy the best you can the first time and then save money in the long run.

Cast entirely of H13, fully heat treated, 52-54 on Rockwell C scale. The face is 4-9/16 inches wide, 9-1/2 inches long, horn 4-1/2 inches long, and about 9-1/2 inches high. I did this for demonstrations requiring historic tools prior to 1820. I primarily use it with my traveling forge I use for 18th. century shows.

If anyone is interested in purchasing one, the cost is $850 with or without a horn, plus shipping. I will donate a portion of the sales to IForgeIron if you tell me you found it here.

Jymm is making a colonial anvil. May want to contact him.

Still availabe by order, but don't know what the price will be next monty let alone next year. The foundry is about 8 weeks out from date of order. I will do what I can to keep the price as low as possible. I did let a couple of other anvil dealers know who my foundry is, they liked the material and quality they saw at Quad State. We might be seeing more American made anvils of H13 in the future.

I've used a 260# Old World double horn full time in my shop for the last 7-8 years. I love it, good rebound, plenty hard, a much more useful shape than a London pattern in my opinion.
I cut the ring by securing it tight to the wood base by two 5/8'' plates through -bolted through the post, pinching the anvils feet. Nothing moves or vibrates with this setup.
I ground off the numbers cast on the side as I like a smooth side face.

I admire the Hofi design, but would prefer more weight if I am indeed to purchase a brand new one (as the price-to-weight curves contrast for any given brand). I am intrigued by the euroanvil design; why are they considerably less than others?

I am rather close to Blacksmith's Depot, and will be traveling by Chester, VA soon, so I will have an opportunity to see bother Peddinghaus, Delta, and Euroanvils in person. I believe I would like to give each a simple forging test to get a feel for the hardness differences (if I can detect any). I would probably secure whatever I get in a "sand stand".

I have tried to contact both Blacksmith's Supply, and Depot, but neither have returned my messages. Does anyone reading attend the meetings in Chandler on Wed.?

Get in touch with the Blacksmith Supply. The Euroanvil is great. Those guys at Oak Hill Iron/Big Blu use them. If Euroanvils are good enough for for them, they're good enough for anyone. I guess there's not the bragging rights you would get with the more expensive anvils because Nimba, RatHole, Tom Clarks, etc. are given more TLC before you get them. As someone said earlier, you have to finish it to your liking. So, if your like me and respect the more expensive anvils but don't have and/or want to spend the money, buy the Euro. Great anvil, unbeatable price.

Also, Blacksmith Supply is about an hour from where our meetings are here in Virginia. You could purchase one from John and come up here for a meeting pick up the anvil from him. It would save you on shipping, and let you hang out with some of the smiths up here too.

Also Alwin Wagener and Elmer Roush use Euroanvils...along with the instructor's anvil at the Yesteryear School of Blacksmithing is a 500# Euro.

...just a suggestion
Peyton

...just a suggestion
Peyton

And well appreciated, thanks!

You'll need to email the euroanvil guy. I never got a hold of him on the phone but he answers his emails within a day.

I have tried both and his email rejected mine after trying for three days. Perhaps I will try again.

I have the occasion to pass through Chester on my way to Williamsburg at least once a year, so I could just stop and pick it up en route.

• 4 weeks later...