I Forge Iron

I'm pysched...with pictures.

John Martin

Well, finally after a year of me blacksmithing, I asked my dad tonight if he wanted to try his hand at forging. He's watched me before. But never showed a real interest in forging. After a quick little tutorial, of some things for blacksmithing, safety, hammer position, hammer technique, and then some banging on a rod, like about a half an hour(30min), we forged him his first knife. He forged this knife about 95%. I did some correcting of the blade, and fine-tuned his tip, as well as centered the blade a bit to the handle. It's just a spike knife, but I think it's a pretty good job. Little bit of pitting, but he brushed it real good. He said he liked it, and wants to try and blacksmith with me some, when he has time. Were probably gonna finish the knife next weekend, when he has time. File work, polish, sharpening, twisting on handle, hardening. Lots of little things to do still.

Pictures (Sorry about quality, off of my phone):

8532.attach

8533.attach

8534.attach

I read this and thought of my own father and what he would have thought about me blacksmithin. It was very uplifting to hear a story about a son teaching his father something about knife makin. Me and my Dad collected knife for most of our lifes and some of the best memories I have are centered around knives. Spend ever single minute you can with him, its something you will cherish for the rest of your life, I am very proud to be amoung good people like yourselves that share wonderful stories, and I hope you talk him into makin a thousand with you, Godbless,Charlie ...also great pictures!!!