I Forge Iron

Chainsaw steel

MetalMuncher

Hello everyone. I need some advice on steel. I have a friend who works with chainsaws and has offered to give scrap chains and the things that hold the chains. I dont know what they are called but its the thing that the chain goes around on. I needed to know if that is good steel. And what about chains? Is it only the teeth? Or the are joints good to? Thanks guys!!

The blades should be good carbon steel and could possibly be hammered into forge welded billets for knives. The "blade" part of the chain saw, can either be aluminum or a mild steel. You'd have to examine them to determine that. Not sure what you'd do if they are alum. but there are always future projects for random pieces of steel.

********WARNING DUMB QUESTION AHEAD*********

This raises a question in my head... The cutting tooth link should be high carbon, I understand that... However I wonder about the link between those that rides in the bar. They seem to be pretty soft? Is this so and if so how does it effect the end result of a pattern weld for say a blade?

Chainsaw bars and chains.

The bars are typically air hardening steel intended for great flexible strength and rebound.

Chains have no "mild" steel in them. The teeth are high impact HC steel, the links are med-high C high impact steel and the roll pins are bearing steel.

Chains make dramatic pattern welded billets, even when folded numerous times.

Bars make good utility blades. There is a bladesmith on the Kenai Lake who has been making knives from chainsaw bars for probably 40 years now and sells a couple thousand a year.

Okay, I'm worn out, this is only the second time I've keyed anything since my LATEST and hopefully last surgery on my non-unionizing left humurus. I've been reading for a couple days but not replying as it's kind of painful.

But. But . . . ALUMINUM bars?!? Good grief guys, we have the internet available, right in front of us as we write/read, right NOW. Even if you don't know what the part is called it shouldn't take more than three (3) searches to find better info than that.

You will note I do NOT say what the bar alloys are, I don't know. What I do know is their general performance specs and what guys do with them. Been using chainsaws pretty steady for 35 years now.

Back to reading from my mossy rock.

Frosty

Thanks guys, everything is going well this time. Splint's off and I'm working on gaining range back. . . Again.

Chains of all kinds though mostly drive chains make dramatic pattern welded billets. I'm surprised someone hasn't posted a pic yet, I don't have one handy or I would've.

Frosty

• 12 years later...

Irwin Cambel a knife maker of Irbi Knives fame used to make knives from chain saw bars but that was probably 30 years ago. He sold out to the #1 man in his shop when he retired and has since passed away. I have no idea what Irbi knives are made of now though the one time I visited Irwin he had a pile of worn out chain saw bars that'd make at least 1 1/2 dump truck loads. 

Chain saw bars were hardenable at that time though knowing a couple guys who carried the knives I wasn't impressed with edge holding. The owners were more than happy so my opinion was moot. 

New bars? No idea, you'll have to test them and see if they'll work for blades.

Frosty The Lucky.